GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Synthetic Blend.... Opinions Please!

Alright.. brand new 2010 Silverado... I have never maintained my vehicle with synthetic oil and I am curious about it. I have heard some say it's not better to run in your engine until mileage builds up a little but I am not too sure about that. I know it is worth it, but are there any "you should know this" pieces of information anyone can provide before I start? Thanks for the help and look forward to the replies!
    GO GATORS!!!
    2010 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4 Z71 Crew Cab
    5.3 L Vortec V-8
    Skid Plates
    Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls, Adjustable Pedals, all the goodies...:happy:
    Everything stock...

On a New Engine there is a break-in period.....On my truck which I bought New.....I did a Oil/filter changed at 500 miles and stayed with 10/30 Conventional Oil and at 1,000 miles...I did a Oil/filter changed and Went with a.....5/30 Full Synthetic Oil.....I think most would agree going with a Synthetic Oil is the way to go.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Totally agree with 99'Heartbeat on this one,at least in my part of the country where it can get down to -60 celsius with the windchill in the winter.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Jr. Apprentice

My 2010 is getting it's first dose of Mobil 1 as I type this. I waited till the 5000 mile mark before I changed mine. Lot of different schools of thought but most will agree it's good to convert over in the first 10k.

I recommend a synthetic over a synthetic blend. I normally use Mobil 1 but will be switching to Amsoil. I have done what I believe to be a lot of research and feel Amsoil would be the best oil. Using synthetics I have never had an engine failure or needed a rebuild. I also get improved gas mileage.

Synthetic blends are a waste of money. Just run dino oil or use synthetic. The blend just seems like a half-assed solution.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Quote Originally Posted by tnhusker View Post
    I recommend a synthetic over a synthetic blend. I normally use Mobil 1 but will be switching to Amsoil. I have done what I believe to be a lot of research and feel Amsoil would be the best oil. Using synthetics I have never had an engine failure or needed a rebuild. I also get improved gas mileage.
    I'll second synthetic. don't go 1/2 way, semi synthetic is an oxymoron. Also some new cars come w/ synthetic from the factory so you don;t have to wait long to change over...

I replaced the engine in my S-10 w/ a brand new crate engine @ 196269 miles and after two dino oil changes I switched to Mobil One. When I sold it 7 years later @ 308,000 you could pull the oil fill plug and take a flashlight & look at the overhead. It looked just the same as when I installed the new engine; clean and shiny. No sludge in the corners, no white moisture film sitting anywhere just new gray steel...I ran it 7,500 - 8,500 miles between changes...

I have a friend w/ a 40 mile, one way, commute. He does Amsoil and runs it 25K changing oil roughly once per year...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Blog Entries

hey GatorFan----i agree with the others in not going semi-synthetic. Using Synthetic can't hurt, but no one really is sure if it improves performance/mileage, or makes the engine idle less, or if internal parts slide better----probably this thread is pretty much like opening up a can of worms---Oh Well, at least you care and are probably going to keep the GM for-ever and will also keep up on oil changes ( whatever you decide to use )(silverhobey in Canada )