GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Weird noise starting, intermittent

Sometimes lately when starting up my rig, there is a loud buzzing noise. I can't quite tell, but it seems to be the starter.

I've let it run for a few seconds with the hood open, and I can't tell where it is coming from,and I'm afraid to let it run with that horrible racket.

If I gently turn the ignition, just enough for it the starter to just engage, and let go of the switch, I can turn the motor over and get it started without the racket.

I'm guessing it is the ignition switch stuck. Anyone else run into this issue before?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think you have solved your own question. I have not had this on my personal vehicles but have seen it. The ign sw is still making contact after you release it & is keeping the solonoid energized which keeps the starter drive gear engaged in the ring gear even after the engine is running.
    This can also be caused by too "little" clearance between the starter drive gear & ring gear, but most often that only happens with a new starter that is installed without being shimmed properly & not a used one that has been operating normally like yours has up till now.
    If this has happend much, you might need to replace the starter as well as the ing. switch because it will be lunched.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I would like to get more specific information from you regarding this issue. If you could private message me with the VIN of the vehicle as well as your full name and address for our records, I would be happy to look into this further. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

At the shop, and it turns out to be the starter. I was considering must buying and installing a new starter and hoping it would go away, but I've done that once already with the HVAC controls just last month.

Hopefully this is it for awhile. A bit more expensive than I would have liked, but I don't have much time free time to work on stuff lately.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post
    If I gently turn the ignition, just enough for it the starter to just engage, and let go of the switch, I can turn the motor over and get it started without the racket.
    I'm guessing it is the ignition switch stuck. Anyone else run into this issue before?
    Well it probably needed the starter too if it suffered damage from this, but from what you wrote above, they didn't fix the root problem. (The ignition switch) What did the shop say about that? Did you relate the same information to them as you did to us? Keep us posted as to how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    I would like to get more specific information from you regarding this issue. If you could private message me with the VIN of the vehicle as well as your full name and address for our records, I would be happy to look into this further. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Is this Chick for REAL, giving out address and VIN to someone with no verification of who the heck she is? Seriously is she ACTUALLY a Customer Service Rep. for GM? IF she was I would think she would give you her help desk # and get the info in a more secure location, I would advise against giving up info like that over the internet.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Is this Chick for REAL, giving out address and VIN to someone with no verification of who the heck she is? Seriously is she ACTUALLY a Customer Service Rep. for GM? IF she was I would think she would give you her help desk # and get the info in a more secure location, I would advise against giving up info like that over the internet.
    Lol Patriot. Good advice.
    I've been surprised that she is offering help to people who aren't even under warranty anymore. I wish she'd offer to pay for repairs on my '88. Maybe 22 years is a bit too far out of warranty. Ha Ha Ha

Turns out, after they replaced the starter, it was still exhibiting the same symptoms. Further investigation, they suspect it may have been related to a remote start feature on my aftermarket alarm? At least that is what they say. I never had that feature fully implemented for my Clifford. They replaced the wiring, and replaced the relay switch. I'm guessing it was the relay switch all along.

I initially told them to throw the old starter in there after the whole trouble, but they seemed to think it might be related. I guess I'm not buying it tottally. Overall way too expensive, but I don't have time to troubleshoot. If I did it myself I would have probably bought a new starter too as my first guess. Oh well.

This has been an expensive year for me in electrical gremlins. Hopefully this is the last of them.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update Kraziken. It always nice to know how these electrical problems turn out.