GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chevybulldog6 View Post
    Where were you able to find the pully kit? I cant seem to find a set for my 05 1500 5.3L. I am still researching and trying to decide if Iwant to go this route or not but I cant make that decision if I cant even find them to price em.
    Try looking at the "March" kits. I can't say they make one for the 5.3 but they are real quality sets. They also come with the aluminum water pump pulley where a lot of the kits only come with crank & alt pulleys.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Ijust looked up March pullys and they do not make any pullys for anything newer than a 2003 Chevy, so I am still looking.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chevybulldog6 View Post
    Ijust looked up March pullys and they do not make any pullys for anything newer than a 2003 Chevy, so I am still looking.
    I don't get it. I just cruised through my Summit catalog & nobody seems to make them for the 5.3 either. What changed from '03 to '04 & beyond, & why nothing for the 5.3 engines?? They make them for every other engine, (4.3, 5.0, 5.7, & 7.4) why not the 5.3?

take it from me i have a pulley kit on my truck and there is no noticeable difference in power gains.... i am a fan of every little bit helps but the pulley kit has been worth it... i should have bought headers and a y-pipe... basically i have had alot of issues with them so far
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune by efi alchemy...320rwhp

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 00chevy53 View Post
    take it from me i have a pulley kit on my truck and there is no noticeable difference in power gains.... i am a fan of every little bit helps but the pulley kit has been worth it... i should have bought headers and a y-pipe... basically i have had alot of issues with them so far
    25%-35% less parasitic drag from your water pump, alternator, power steering pump, & a.c, plus accelerating aluminum pulleys that are 1/3 the weight of steel, has to be worth something on your engine even though you might not have noticed it.
    It was worth 3/4 - 1 mpg on mine & I can actually feel it accelerates a little easier from 800 up to about 2,000 rpms. Beyond 2k rpms it gets lost in the shuffle. I agree you would have gotten more return with headers & a Y pipe, since the exhaust is the weakest point on Chevy small blocks & is usually the first thing replaced. I would not recommend underdrive pulleys for anyone who has had overheating problems or a zillion watt stereo, or as a first mod, but as a final mod after everything else has been done to improve performance & mpg. Some people can live with them & some can't. What issues have you had with yours other than the low voltage at idle?? Are yours the aluminum pulleys or steel?

***edit
    I have noticed 8Volts @ idle on mine but have not experienced any low charging of the battery as I don't spend much time ar idle. Do you do a lot of stop & go driving or get stuck in traffic jams a lot?
    Last edited by stephan; 11-09-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoberts View Post
    just put an over drive pully on the alternator, and you will be fine.

Nice...........
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Do underdrive pulley's increase MPGs?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arinmybackpocket View Post
    Do underdrive pulley's increase MPGs?
    Welcome to the GM truck club Arin.
    Yes, according to the laws of physics, they have to improve mpg, but you can do something else to your engine at the same time that takes mpgs' away & you'd never know. That is why you only want to change one thing at a time for testing purposes.

I try to stay away from the city, most of my driving is done on the highway. I just feel that I could have spent the money on something with more power gains. But as far as the volts go im running about the same at an idle.
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune by efi alchemy...320rwhp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast