GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat!!!

Default Heat!!!

So one of the main reasons i don't like driving my burban in the
    winter is because the thing has like NO insulation. I can let the
    thing warm up for like an hour before i drive it and im still driving
    down the road with my gloves on. Also, its hard to keep the windows
    clear, since i cant keep the inside warm i get ice on the inside of
    the glass. I wired up two 12volt heaters in the back to help clear the
    rear glass (i have no defroster lines) but they don't do the trick and
    they use TONS of power. If i run the heaters the alternator cannot
    keep up. I have this idea to add a second heater in the back that is
    run off of the engine heat. I want to get a small heater core and run
    long hoses to the back, but im coming up dry of thought as to blowing
    the heat. I'm not sure if i should build something into the side of
    the back (between the inside of the rig and the outside fender there
    is a long panel that is held in by screws that i thought i might be
    able to make use of) or if i should make a box to mount on the side. I
    can more than do the wiring, so that's not an issue. If im not
    mistaken the factory rear heat is attached to the ceiling? I don't
    really want it up there. Has anybody here ever added heat in the back?

Legend

cant tell you about the extra heaters you want but you should really look at your heater, I dont care where you leave it should be throwing plenty of heat. test the fluid, check the thermostat blower motor, there are so many things that could be giving you the low heat. How hot does your truck run,its operating temp, it should be around 185. i would start checking things out before you put something like heaters in it that can get too hot and start fires.
    Last edited by vncj96; 01-13-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    cant tell you about the extra heaters you want but you should really look at your heater, I dont care where you leave it should be throwing plenty of heat. test the fluid, check the thermostat blower motor, there are so many things that could be giving you the low heat. How hot does your truck run,its operating temp, it should be around 185. i would start checking thinks out before you put something like heaters in it that can get too hot and start fires.

ya hes right, i would check out your trucks heating system before you start puting other heaters in...it can be very unsafe
    Jeremy - California

07 GMC Sierra (New Body)
    4.8 V8
    Straight piped exhaust
    Shorty Headers
    Beltech 5/7 drop
    AiRaid intake and Throttle Body
    SuperChips tuner
    and lots more to come!!

My truck runs at proper operating temp (around 175-190 depending on how much wind gets past the cardboard i put in front of the radiator) The air that comes out of the vents ranges from warm to very warm. The cooling system is new with the recent engine rebuild. New 3 core radiator, new hoses, new thermostat, new heater core, the radiator fluid was flushed and filled prior to winter and the engine has a sensor on both sides with separate gauges that read the same temp. Iv battled the lack of heat for the past three winters since we moved to this colder climate. My problem is the lack of insulation. With nothing but sheet metal between me and the elements, there isnt much to contain the heat that the engine makes. Im going to be replacing the heater fan to see if a new one will run at a faster speed, and im going to dismantle the dash and see if there are any obstructions such as leaves in the tubes, but most of my problem is still the fact that the cabin is not as sealed as a newer vehicle. The electric heaters that i installed in the back dont get hot enough to start fires, they barely work well enough to defrost the window after 45 min.

Legend

you keep saying no insulation, what do you mean?
    285/75/16

you keep saying no insulation, what do you mean?
    No insulation, as in there is no sound deadening material. The truck has no headliner, so the ceiling in the truck is the roof of the truck. There is just the sheet metal between me and the outside, it is a very noisy ride. There is no insulation in the doors to hold heat in or kill road noise, and the door and window seals are old and cracking. Im sure many of you would say to replace the door seals, but they are really expensive for my rig, and i think it would be cheaper to just work on heaters.

go get yourself some dyno mat from an audio store, some cotton napping from a fabric store along with some rugged fabric, aerosol adhesive, and maybe some thin foam board probably from lowes or you local lumber yard. get some measurements and start cutting. first apply a layer of dyno mat. then take your foam board and spray it dow with your adhesive. place your cotton napping on the foam board. then take your fabric and lay over that. take some high tensel thread and hit along all the edges and maybe in a pattern across the middles, or you can hit a few spot kind of like a futon mattress looks like if you can picture that. then you need to figure a way to attach it, be it velcro, self tapping screws (dont recommend) or whatever you can think of that will work. shouldnt be too expensive.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Legend

OHHHHH, so your truck is pretty much gutted, did you do this or was it purchased this way? I see why she might be a little drafty now!
    285/75/16

OHHHHH, so your truck is pretty much gutted, did you do this or was it purchased this way? I see why she might be a little drafty now!
    When i got the truck, it had a headliner. After a while the headliner started to sag and and fall down while off roading and i took it the rest of the way out. I never put another headliner in because i have wires run for off road lighting and speakers and whatnot and i constantly play with the wires, so by putting a headliner back in, it would make it really hard to play with the wires. To answer the other reply, Dynamat is really expensive, more expensive than a heater core and hoses. Plus by putting something on the ceiling it would get in the way of the wires. I know there are many things that i could do to try and seal the truck up, but im really interested in adding a second heater, i mean they made suburbans from the factory that had second heaters, so having a second heater must have been wanted at some point. And self tapping screws are my best friend lol i use them to hold down everything

I think that you should be able to put out enough heat to at least keep the window from getting ice on the inside. Yes, the sound deadening material does also help to insulate, some for the other stuff, and the door gaskets too, but you should be able to get the cab up to at least 60F I think.

How fast does the fan blow? You should be able to feel the WHOOSH of air come out on full-blast and it should be warm/hot when it's supposed to be. You said you put a new heater core in, can you pull back the paneling and make certain that it's getting hot enough and recirculating back into the engine?

I know that you're losing heat, so there are two options. 1) insulate and keep the same heat (provided you get some) or 2) get more heat!

BTW, just how cold does it get?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast