GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2003 Z71 Odometer fraud?

We just purchased a 2003 Z71 yesterday with 61K miles on it from a local dealership. In going through all the features on the DIC this evening, I came across the personal and business trip logs and was a little upset to see that the personal trip log was showing about 18K more miles than the odometer. There was another display (annual log I believe) that did coincide with the odometer. The dealership is closed for the evening already but plan to call them first thing in the morning for an explanation. The Carfax they provided me did not indicate any suspected odometer rollback. Has anyone run into this before and can shed some light on how the personal trip odometer could be higher than the vehicle's main odometer?
    Last edited by TonyJ; 11-02-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Trip odometer 79K

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I do know it's hard to change the new ones..Maybe the dash had to be replaced at one time? Mine did on my 08..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Wouldn't the trip odometer value also be stored in the dash though? I would think both should have started at zero. Incidentally, the total vehicle hours is about 2179, at an average of 35MPH, which would put the vehicle at about 76K.

Thats crazy man. I would think it'd be pretty hard to do on the new ones too. I'm looking forward to an explanation. Keep us updated!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Check hereis you haven;t already. Good article, they also offer a free odometer check at no cost. Hopefully this helps. If in doubt, take it back and look for a new vehicle. Maybe also research the dealership via the internet for possible problems from other customers. That is what I would do. Did you buy this from a side lot dealer or an actually corporation dealership?

http://www.carfax.com/car_buying/odometer.cfx

The most amazing part is that no one reset the Trip odometers in 7 years... Sounds like somthing is not right. The total mileage should be stored in the cluster. If the cluster was replaced it would have had to be reprogramed at the dealer/manufacturer. There is a guy here in our town that fixes the clusters but the mileage is unaffected. How did you come up with the average MPH? This also can be reset, so the fact it is currently at 35mph on average, if it was reset this may skew the math. Maybe the dealer can pull the actuals off the computer???

2010 Suburban Z71 5.3 A6, Sheer Silver, Ebony Interior

2004 Lexus RX330 AWD - Netune Blue Metalic

The 35MPH average was a value I saw on another posting that someone estimated their average as so I used that in calculating the possible mileage over the 2179 hours. I have a 2007 Tahoe and will calculate the average and see how that measures up based on our driving habits. I purchased the Z71 from a large GMC/Buick dealership so hopefully they will be able help get to the bottom of this. I too found it weird that the personal trip odometer was not apparently reset at all. The business trip odometer was at zero however.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
    Wouldn't the trip odometer value also be stored in the dash though? I would think both should have started at zero. Incidentally, the total vehicle hours is about 2179, at an average of 35MPH, which would put the vehicle at about 76K.
    I bought my '05 w/ 75209 on the oddmeter and just under 1200 hours...It now has 83,000 and is a little over 1300 hours...I think you should re-think the 35 average MPH...75,209 @ 1100 + change came to 70 MPH and I figured it was alot of highway mileage...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

i have roughly 35,000 on my 08 with 1200 give or take engine hours is about 25mph lifetime so far .. granted I do quite a bit of city driving... however a 70mph average is a bit fishy, because that would mean 70 mph average... basically no idle time and when it was fired up it would take right off on the freeway .. no stopping for gas, drive through food? something doesn't sound right here.. or is it just me??

Make sure you look closely to that cause in some of those settings, they use decimals...didn't notice that on the first cluster I ordered and we had to send it back to get reprogrammed, that was a few years back when I first started for GM

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by