GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default question for 2005 Silverado owners....help please

Hi guys.. about a month ago I gave my son my 2005 Silverado and installed a new radio for his 16th b-day. About a week ago some one broke into it and stole the radiothey jammed ascrew driver in to the lock and got in without setting off the alarm.

My question... I believe that the 05 Silverado is like my wifes 08 Tahoe and when you hit the beeper once to lock and twice to set the alarm that if you key into the truck the alarm will trip.

The dealership says the 05's are not that way and the only way to trip the alarm is to break the window. Would any of you guy with 2005 Silverado's check this for me.

Also... if it is the case that the alarm will only trip with a broken window that is not how they got in, does anyone have any alarm suggestions the dealership is quoting my $400 to install an aftermarket motion alarm, does that sound normal.

Thanks guys
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot View Post
    Hi guys.. about a month ago I gave my son my 2005 Silverado and installed a new radio for his 16th b-day. About a week ago some one broke into it and stole the radiothey jammed ascrew driver in to the lock and got in without setting off the alarm.

My question... I believe that the 05 Silverado is like my wifes 08 Tahoe and when you hit the beeper once to lock and twice to set the alarm that if you key into the truck the alarm will trip.

The dealership says the 05's are not that way and the only way to trip the alarm is to break the window. Would any of you guy with 2005 Silverado's check this for me.

Also... if it is the case that the alarm will only trip with a broken window that is not how they got in, does anyone have any alarm suggestions the dealership is quoting my $400 to install an aftermarket motion alarm, does that sound normal.

Thanks guys
    Michael
    The Way to check to see if your Alarm is Working or Not Working....is to
    .....Roll Down the Driver side Window,
    .....Then Lock the Doors with the Remote,
    .....Wait for the SECURITY message to go out,
    .....Then reach through the window, unlock the Door with the manual door lock and open the Door........This Should set Off the Alarm.....If the alarm does not sound Off went it should,but the Trucks headlights flash....Check to see that the horn works...if not check the fuse.....if nothing comes on you need to have the Alarm check out.

Michael......Also go back to the Dealership and tell them....To Read the 2005" Silverado's Owners Manual...Section #2....page 20...... because the Infor. I've posted above is from the....2005" Manual....on how to check to see that the Alarm is Working.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-27-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

edit** I have withdrawn my post as it was a bit harsh towards a "few" dealerships. lol
    Last edited by stephan; 10-27-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot View Post

Thanks guys
    Michael
    I would suggest going with an aftermarket alarm. You can add extra sensors and everything. The install is fairly simple. Theres some write ups on it floating around on other truck forums. I have the viper 5901 alarm/remote start and I couldn't be happier with it. All the factory alarms that I've seen are pretty much useless.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

i have a 04 w factroy alarm, i was told that there is a sensor in the drivers door and the ignition that senses that there is a key in the lock cylinder and that will disable that alarm cause the truck will think that you are just usingthe key and not the remotes. have asked the same question tothe dealers
    Don't Run Your Fingers Over My Truck And I Promise Not To Run My Truck Over Your Fingers!!!

Thanks for the reply guy's. The dealer did the thing with the windows down and it does trip the alarm. My problem is when it was broken into they jammed a screw driver into the lock and apparently the truck thought it was a key because it did not trip the alarm. The dealer said... no problem, if they break the window to get in, the alarm will trip... but again that is not how they broke in.

I am going to get an additional alarm installed just to be safe.
    Thanks Again
    Michael

thats why chevys are the easyest vehicles to break into and the criminals know that

the dealer is telling you correctly. no sensor in the tumbler, just the actuator and ign.

sorry to hear about that, had a whole chizzled out of one of my doors when it was broken into in TN
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Yeah I am bummed that they stole my sons radio but happy that the didn't steal the truck and they didn't really do any damage that I can tell to the dash.
    We looked at new radio's on Saturday and picked out a pretty cheap one at $200 with a removable face. I might try to replace the radio in a few weeks and look into the alarm after Christmas.

Michael

That's bs. It should go off if it's got a stock alarm system. And this add-on piece isn't worth it especially if there gonna chart you 400 bucks for it. For the most part it's never worth it to get anything from them. you'd think paying that chunk of change would get you a qaulity product but it's not, its cheaply made and literally plugs in. You can get a real fancy security system for about 200 dollars including install. That will give you a war peircing siren, shock sensor, covers your door triggers among many other things. If you want to Jump up to about 300 you can get all that plus a two way remote so if your alarm ever goes off it will tell you on the remote and also tells you when you lock/unlock the car, basically you'll never have to ask yourself "did I lock my pickup or not? ". Not only all that, but your range is going to be rediculously increased. That breaks you from the leash of the dealer. two good models to check out is the viper 350hv which has the one way and the viper 3203v which has the 2way. And if you get it untapped professionally they have a lifetime warranty on the unit(which covers everything but the remote) and a lifetime warranty on the install. I don't know about the latter but when it comes to anything to do with your stereo/audio/video/security dealers don't know jack. It is really worth it to get it professionally installed so go check out your local best buy or car toys.

Thanks for the great info on the Viper, I am sure that is the way I will go, sometime after Chrismas I take my son in and get him the works on the alarm. He's only 16, so he's a little shaken by break in... I am sure a good alarm will give him a little piece of mind.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by