GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Unhappy New Guy - CE/SES light Question

Please help this newb out. I've only had this Suburban for 3 months, and It is full of electrical problems. (The usual Service Airbag, noisy respirator on the rear, stuck CD changer, and RV mirrror compass going on and off)

But the one electrical problem I hope to find a solution for is the Check Engine light/Service Engine Soon. One morning, I turned the truck on and for some reason, my fuel gauge was on E and my Check engine light was on. My first thought was 'someone stole my gasoline...Fawk'. I took it to the gas station and put 10 gallons, and sure enough, it was still on E.

I took the truck to Autozone and I got these two codes; P0446 and P0452. So now, I have these two codes and a fuel gauge that is stuck on E. Anyone know what is wrong or where to start? I'm going to guess EVAP, but I need a good lead. The truck is a 2003 Suburban 5.3 2WD. This truck is not a flex fuel. I've tried reseting the system by leaving the battery unhooked for 3 hours, but it didn't work.

wow alot of electrical issues are no good. could come from many different things. hopefully someone on here can point u in the right direction

welcome to the forum though lol

Quote Originally Posted by oldjohnny View Post
    Please help this newb out. I've only had this Suburban for 3 months, and It is full of electrical problems. (The usual Service Airbag, noisy respirator on the rear, stuck CD changer, and RV mirrror compass going on and off)

But the one electrical problem I hope to find a solution for is the Check Engine light/Service Engine Soon. One morning, I turned the truck on and for some reason, my fuel gauge was on E and my Check engine light was on. My first thought was 'someone stole my gasoline...Fawk'. I took it to the gas station and put 10 gallons, and sure enough, it was still on E.

I took the truck to Autozone and I got these two codes; P0446 and P0452. So now, I have these two codes and a fuel gauge that is stuck on E. Anyone know what is wrong or where to start? I'm going to guess EVAP, but I need a good lead. The truck is a 2003 Suburban 5.3 2WD. This truck is not a flex fuel. I've tried reseting the system by leaving the battery unhooked for 3 hours, but it didn't work.

Trouble Code.....P0446.... could mean one or more of the following has happened:

• Faulty vent valve
    • Open, short or excessive resistance on Vent valve control circuit
    • Blockage of vent valve
    • Bad PCM

Possible Solutions....here are some things to try:

• Replace Vent valve
    • Repair open, short, or resistance problem in control circuit
    • Repair open, or short, or resistance problem in power circuit
    • Replace PCM

Trouble Code....P0452..... Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage - With Automatic Transmission
    Possible Causes

• FTP sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
    • FTP sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground
    • FTP sensor reference (5v) circuit is open or shorted to ground
    • FTP sensor has failed
    • PCM has failed

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!! Sorry you are having so many problems with your new ride. I hope you are able to get them fixed quickly.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

So, a common problem with both of those codes is the PCM. You guys think this module could be the root of my problems?

I know there are consistent problems with faulty Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges on GMs (Which I also have. It shows no pressure). I've read that some of the signs of a faulty Gas Gauge include the needle fluctuation back and forth. Mine never did that. So I doubt it is the cluster.

I'm going to safely assume that all these three problems are related (Two codes and Empty Gas Gauge). Could it come down to a faulty PCM? Or could it be a faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor?

I tried to reset the OBDII. The Gas Gauge still didn't work and the Check Engine light came back on after 10 seconds. Anyone know where I should start?

Welcome to the club. Have you checked the truck ground connections?

I'm close to doing that.

I am coming to the conclusion that the root of this problem may be coming from the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. It could explain why it is also throwing the EVAP codes.

Does anyone know if I can reach the sensor by getting underneath the truck? Or do I have have to drop the gas tank? Where exactly is this sensor. What does it look like?

Quote Originally Posted by oldjohnny View Post
    I'm close to doing that.

I am coming to the conclusion that the root of this problem may be coming from the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. It could explain why it is also throwing the EVAP codes.

Does anyone know if I can reach the sensor by getting underneath the truck? Or do I have have to drop the gas tank? Where exactly is this sensor. What does it look like?
    The FTP Sensor is located on top of the Fuel Tank and is part of the Fuel pump Assembly.....as far as dropping the fuel tank....at min. you could lower the tank just enough......to get Access to the Sensor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Do they sell the the sensor separately anywhere? Or am I stuck buying a whole new fuel pump?