GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2003 Yukon Instrument Cluter Lights/Radio Lights?

Hey everyone. I have been trying to find out how to change out the lights in my instrument cluster (PRND123 is VERY dim and sometimes doesn't come on) and radio and some other dash lights. Is this a hard task to take on with a chiltons manual and autozone? I have done a lot of work on cars before but never taken off the dash yet. The reason I am asking is because the local mechanics are wanting a ridiculous amount of money for their time, which is understandable. Also has anyone ever gotten a buzzing/humming noise from the climate control fan located above the driver seat and know of a way to take care of that? By the way this is my first post and first forum ever so its good to hear from anyone. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2003 GMC Yukon 5.3 SLT

First welcome to the club! I can't answer your question but I've been wanting to do the same thing so I hope somebody has some suggestions! I know there are a few guys around the site who have done this.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

thanks ntbush, its so annoying.. I just went to pick up a friend and found out ANOTHER light on my radio is out and it's so irritating. I hope its decently easy fix. BTW nice truck

Also I know for sure you can change the lights on your instrument panel but I'm not sure about the radio. Thats strange they are all going out like that.

haha. although it may seem like from what I said they are all going out simultaneously, that is not the case. Some have been slowly going out and some go out and if I turn my lights on manually and flip the switch they come back on. The radio light that I noticed tonight just happened to be a coincidence in relation to my post tonight :P. I felt up under my dash and found 2 bolts but im quite cautious to start taking things a part if I don't know how to get them back together. I'm sure we've all made a mistake like that before!

Too many times! Hey btw check out this link! it has a few videos that explain the process pretty good and it looks pretty simple.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_2327721_re...src=continuous

Wow! Thanks for the link. They really dumb it down so it seems like ANYONE could do it. This has given me the confidence to just go for it. I'll post back tomorrow about how it goes.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

alright well I got the instrument cluster off and took the back off and don't see how you can get to the lights to remove them or even which lights I need to buy to replace them. If anyone knows please throw in your .02!

---------- Post added 11-06-2010 at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-05-2010 at 11:57 PM ----------

wow ok I just found out the bulbs are soldered into the cluster................ wow. refurbished clusters are about 175 before tax and i'm pretty sure you have to get it programmed by the dealer. I'm going to radio shack and getting some LEDs and a 10$ soldering kit and see how this goes.. I've never soldered before but I watched a couple youtube videos and think it wont be too hard. If it doesn't work out i'll just be in the same place I started without lights. If it works and they light up after I plug it back in, i'll probably just change all the lights to a cool color like red or blue while I have the circut open.
    Last edited by buzzsaw714; 11-06-2010 at 12:40 AM.

GM started soldering all the bulbs on the 03+ up vehicles. If you look through my previous post I posted a link to a company on ebay that sells clusters for about $75. They're the denali clusters so you get the trans gauge as well. They're brand new. Or at least mine was. You do need to have it reprogrammed though. Just call around your area and see if anyone has the ability to do it. If you want the dealer to do it then don't install the cluster until you take the truck to them. A lot of the dealers won't program it if it has miles on the cluster. Theres a few places on the internet though that will do it.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Sr. Engineer

This may be a little late but here is my 2cw. If you can restore full lighting by manipulating the switches then the bulbs are NOT defective. I would first look at the instrument light control on the dash. As for the buzzing from the auto temperature control fan, there is a service bulleton about this and suggests that is missaligned and should be reatatched correctly. Mine does this for the first five or ten minutes then goes away. I do not have a shop manual and thought about doing it myself but looks like the headliner needs to come down for access and I am not that ambitious yet.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear