GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good write up 2COR517! I guess I'm happy since mine are on the top quality list haha

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Master Mechanic

I use the K&N oil filter. Has a 1" nut on the bottom which makes taking off an ease. If you have the skid plates like I do it can get annoying to take other filters off the regular way.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I use the K&N oil filter. Has a 1" nut on the bottom which makes taking off an ease. If you have the skid plates like I do it can get annoying to take other filters off the regular way.
    Same here which is why I made the same choice.

I'm not too picky as long as the filter works because I replace my oil every 3k or fewer miles. I recently put a Car Quest filter on and had to replace it because it leaked. I understand they're generally a good filter, made by Wix, but I won't go back to them. I replaced it with the Purolator with the grip.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I'm using the Fram ph373 "long" filter for the extra filtering capacity & the added cooling, but I may be changing to something else after reading 2CORs & 4.8chevysilvers reviews of the Frams lol. Do you know if the ph373 is one of the cheap Frams? Do any other manufacturers offer the long 10" filter?
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

idk ill see if i can find out though

FWIW:

Here's a fairly comprehensive listing and comparison of oil filters:

I found it to be useful when I decided to no longer use FRAM oil filters (some years ago). But this information is somewhat dated (ten+ years old)... does anyone have a link to more up-to-date info?
    Last edited by 04-silverado; 11-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.

I use WIX filters from NAPA.I was going to purchase a K&N filter with the nut on the bottom that they sell for $20.00 until i saw one that the guys at my local NAPA store cut in half.The materials they use in these are garbage compared to the WIX at less than half the price.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Master Mechanic

I have no problems with my K&N oil filter, easy to install. and work well. I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 04-silverado View Post
    FWIW:

Here's a fairly comprehensive listing and comparison of oil filters:

I found it to be useful when I decided to no longer use FRAM oil filters (some years ago). But this information is somewhat dated (ten+ years old)... does anyone have a link to more up-to-date info?
    No one has any more recent info?

The reason I am interested is: in today's environment of multinational corporations, buying and selling smaller corporations, who really knows which companies (from the list to which I linked) are still intact and making the same (and/or improved) filters? Then too, if company "A" likes company "B"s product line, and buys them out... they might be inclined to keep the BRANDED NAME on the product, but produce a less costly and lower quality product... after all, to them the game is what will be added to their BOTTOM LINE (they really could not care less about consumers... after all, in a few years, when the lower quality product gets a bad name from "word of mouth"... they could simply SELL it).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12