GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Mufflers?????

Default Mufflers?????

ok i have a 2007 new body 4.8 with a cherry bomb extreme muffler on it it just cat back no headers or aftermarket cats and i was thinking about switching to a slp loudmouth 2 or a dynomax bullet but i dont know which one to go with i want it loud but still sound good so what yall think i should go with a change or leave it how it is???

Quote Originally Posted by 4.8chevysilverado07 View Post
    ok i have a 2007 new body 4.8 with a cherry bomb extreme muffler on it it just cat back no headers or aftermarket cats and i was thinking about switching to a slp loudmouth 2 or a dynomax bullet but i dont know which one to go with i want it loud but still sound good so what yall think i should go with a change or leave it how it is???
    I wouldn't change the muffler, just add some headers and it should be better
    2004 Chevy Silverado w/ 5.3L V8 / Z71 / Shorty

Would rather be going too fast then too slow:out:

If you do decide to go with the headers, go ahead and spring for the LTs. You can also look into getting a set of high flow cats.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

i was thinking about doin that with the lt headers but no cats

A lot of LT setups don't even have cats and the ones that do, are pretty pricey. If you already have a cat back system it will have to be modified to accept the LTs.

i was thinkin about runnin 3" pipe in it

I know the stock pipe for the 5.3 (not sure about the 4.8) is 3" until you get to the muffler and i would think that you cat back system already has a 3" pipe. the Pacesetter LTs have 3" collectors and with the Pacesetter 3" Y pipe you shouldn't have much pipe left. You may want to just take you cat bask system off (put it one E-Bay) and just run a 3" pipe straight to the back.

why is there an ad for ford cars on this post?

I've used the dynomax superturbos on both ford and chevy applications, and love them. they've got a great low rumble at idle, and a nice roar when you get on it, but not obnoxiously loud.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.8chevysilverado07 View Post
    ive got a '10 silverado with the 5.3 and ive only have the factory cats and a Y-pipe where the muffler was. its not obnoxious by anymeans and it sounds amazing, everyone around here says its one of the best sounding trucks around where i live. idk how the 4.8 would sound with the lower displacement but i thought itd throw my 2cents in