GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chevy Suburban Interior Cargo - the recent generations

I use my burban for hauling building materials occasionally. That includes 8 foot drywall panels.

I use it also a lot for family hauling.

I currently have a 91 Suburban. I'm considering swapping in a Vortec engine when the motor dies. However, with the price of these trucks dropping (because of the gas mileag) I'm wondering if I should buy a newer truck.

Do the 92-99 Sububans have the same interior cargo space? How about the 2000-2006 Suburbans?

I love the look of the 2007 Suburbans, but I read somewhere, that you can no longer haul drywall sheets in this truck. They've made it more for people hauling than crap hauling.

I believe all those in the 90’s have the same room, same body, same amount of room.

I know I can fit a full size sheet of 4X8 ply in our 94 and close the barn doors.

Not sure about the newer ones.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Thanks, I figured the 92-99 trucks were about the same. When I look at the interior, it seems a bit smaller, maybe because of the formed sides with the cup holders etc. I'm not sure.

I was going to take a tape measure and check a few out, but I didn't want to deal with any car salesmen yet.

I agree, I think the number of 2007 Suburban owners that use their burb to remodel their house or run a construction business is probably around nill. The new burbans are for soccer moms during the week and for hauling a boat on the weekends.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The new burbans are for soccer moms during the week.
    You are so dead! The soccer moms will find you and picket your house...

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I agree, I think the number of 2007 Suburban owners that use their burb to remodel their house or run a construction business is probably around nill. The new burbans are for soccer moms during the week and for hauling a boat on the weekends.
    Considering the history of this truck, I think this is kind of sad?

Admittedly, I use my Burb for more people hauling that cargo, but when I do have to haul, I use it to haul trash, construction supplies etc. It's why I love this thing!!

Resurrecting my old thread, to show a size comparison. The '91 definately has a bit more room inside.

I figure what the hell, when is the next time I'm going to have two Suburban's parked side by side to compare.

I think the Burb in general is slightly narrower in Width. The spare tire location seems to take up more room. The plastic sides take up more room as well. In opening the 1998 is a inch and a half smaller top to bottom.

A different angle to look at.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

My 1998 easily takes 4x8 material. It is 49" by 98" and 37.5" at its narrowest shortest and least tall.

It is least tall at the rear opening, of course-the 37.5' measurement.

If you want even more room you can remove the second row-takes about 45 minutes -and it gives you about 108" of length (depending on how far back you put the front seats).

I'm really curious if the newest body style is too small for 4x8 "stuff". It looks huge from thwe outside-can't believe Chevy would make it unable to handle 4x8 material. The whole point of the Suburban is to be able to carry anything and everyone; that is why we all willingly (more or less willingly) take the mpg hit to own it. It can do it all- a covered long bed pickup, but a lot more comfortable ,and now just about cheaper- used- than a pickup.

Big aside - it broke my heart that a 2003 LT 2wd Suburban 64000 miles -white, my color- sold for just $9950 on ebay yesterday. I was watching it, but didn't have the $$. Main problem -other than no money - is that my 98 just runs so well -despite the years and miles- that I just can't bring myself to go more in debt to replace it.If it is ran like crap , or was beat up ,I would dump it. It isn't ,so I can't.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    My 1998 easily takes 4x8 material. It is 49" by 98" and 37.5" at its narrowest shortest and least tall.

It is least tall at the rear opening, of course-the 37.5' measurement.

If you want even more room you can remove the second row-takes about 45 minutes -and it gives you about 108" of length (depending on how far back you put the front seats).

I'm really curious if the newest body style is too small for 4x8 "stuff". It looks huge from thwe outside-can't believe Chevy would make it unable to handle 4x8 material. The whole point of the Suburban is to be able to carry anything and everyone; that is why we all willingly (more or less willingly) take the mpg hit to own it. It can do it all- a covered long bed pickup, but a lot more comfortable ,and now just about cheaper- used- than a pickup.

Big aside - it broke my heart that a 2003 LT 2wd Suburban 64000 miles -white, my color- sold for just $9950 on ebay yesterday. I was watching it, but didn't have the $$. Main problem -other than no money - is that my 98 just runs so well -despite the years and miles- that I just can't bring myself to go more in debt to replace it.If it is ran like crap , or was beat up ,I would dump it. It isn't ,so I can't.

Charlie

I believe the exterior dimensions are about the same. If you look at the second row seats though, they are more comfy, but don't fold the same way. Because of this, the length of cargo room is smaller and if I remember correctly, the floor is not flat.

I looked at one in the car show. While I like the exterior looks I don't like the idea of giving up even MORE interior room.

I won't be selling my 1998. It will have to explode or catch on fire, and then I'd probably buy another one in the same generation.

I've got a 2007 Suburban. If I flip up my 2nd row of seats I can get a 4x8 sheet in the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by