GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GMT400/800 front clip swap?

Ok, I'm a bit illiterate on a few things here, but mechanically, I know what I'm doing...pretty much.

Does anyone have an idea of how tough a project it would be to swap an '06 vintage front clip onto my '99 Burb (GMT400)?

I have not been able to get my truck next to an '06, so I haven't even been able to eyeball it.

I would suspect that, worst-case, one would need to graft the 06 sheetmetal into the '99 fenders. I know the lower body line is more V shaped on the newer truck and is a squared U shape on my older one. I ~think~ the transition would not look too bad, and I know it can be massaged to fit better.

Why? 'cuz I just like the scowling look of the newer front end and I am not finding much available aftermarket that I either like the looks of or hasn't been done to death (like Euro tail-lights). As far as an '06, thats's the only year that I know had that front. I have no clue if it was used on any other vintages.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Legend

I am sure its more headache then its worth, but you could also do a denali/escalade front swap from the same year and platform as your suburban. You can by the kits at stylintrucks.com and they take all the guess work out of it for you.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

That's what I was thinking too.

I need to replace my headlights anyway, so maybe I'll just spring for a Rover conversion kit. Not that much more and I've never actually seen one on the road...basically my main goal: something different.

To do an 06 front clip would take a lot of metal work, and would be pretty pricey. I do believe there are conversion kits for your style of suburban to put a 02-06 escalade clip on, where they have already done the metalwork for you and you just put the parts on. If cost is a concern though, that is probably not the best option for you. An escalade/denali front always looks good, or you could do the rover style headlights and grille. There is a member on here (I believe it was springthing) that has done it on a suburban of the same era as yours, but I don't remember the exact thread so if you look around you will probably find it.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Yes, I've seen his pics. Thats more of what I'll likely do. I'd love to just get mine next to an '06 just to see how it lines up. But yeah, I didn't think it would be a quick easy swap.

Found a vid of one done: looks like a GMT800 truck, so I am guessing the swap was simple enough. I like the looks a lot! Alsmost enough to just get a newer Burb!

Yeah: it's an '03.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 11-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Thats a nice suburban in those videos. The 03-05 clip he has would be an easy swap on an 800, since the body lines are all the same and everything fits directly. If you really want an 800 front end on yours, like I said earlier there is a kit with everything you need for a 2002-06 escalade clip, which is a pretty classy clip, but that = $$$$, which doesn't get you much farther ahead than having the metalwork done to fit the 06 clip you want, which would also = $$$$.

For a normal budget, I think the range rover style front would be a pretty good choice for something fresh.