GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default chevy/GMC van diesel.....

OK I am really pondering buying a diesel van... Here's the scoop.... I love suburbans always have and always will, but I tow and haul people and I want a diesel and still travel with the family... So a passenger van in diesel (available for 2011) or if the interior is garbage then I will look into a conversion van ... And I forgot to mention it will be sent out to quigley for a 4x4 conversion... But my concern is about the motor / trans... and experiences here I know it's not the allison and a detuned diesel but how are they holding up? and gas mileage? It makes more sense with a 1/2 ton suburban costing over $60 grand and still no diesel option... Any experiences with these would be greatly appreciated.. either good or bad...
    Thanks

Our new ambulances have the diesel / 4L80E, and the engines run great; we have chewed up a couple of tranny's already, though.

I don't know about mileage, and I would love the Allison, but if you're not putting a crap load of miles and weight on it, all the time, I think you'll enjoy it. And the engine is crazy quiet!

Have you talked with Quigley already? Maybe they have an option, or suggestion, for the tranny.

Good luck, and I want to drive it when it gets here!!

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Jr. Mechanic

I have delt with Quigley in the past had a ford 4x4 from them and also went offroading/rock crawling with them many times..... great bunch of people and they are extremely helpful.. I am not planning on this for another year or so... just trying to get my options straight... in the end it will be somewhere around 60 grand which is a lot of scratch to spend right now maybe less... it matters if I need to have a conversion done on the interior or not, if they offer a confortable interior then GM stuff is fine, but if it's cheap thin crappy seats then I would have to do something about it.... The 4x4 conversion on the diesel comes in at $11,000 plus the price of the van. GM is planned to release a diesel passenger van in the next few months.. still the Duramax 6.6 I was assured of not the newer 4.5 in the works. so really it comes down to the price of the van.. the conversion won't change in price, plus I need to make it look like a badass truck Not too hard to do.. Involves a lot of black parts and bumpers/ tire holder, etc....so my wife will breakdown and be seen in it.. (she's a pain)

I have a 2007 Savana / Dura-max with the Quigley torsion bar 4X4 conversion and Sportmobile tent top. No problems so far. 17 to 19 mpg. Very comfortable towing a 7K# boat.

Jr. Mechanic

Would love to know some details on the truck.. buying experience, likes dislikes, etc... Not something you find very often... I don't need the sportsmobile top ... that I know for sure..... Pics if you have any just to see a rare beast...all if you don't mind... thanks

I bought the 2007 extended cargo van w/ dura-max with 37000 miles in 2008 for $20K. In 2009 I drove it 3000 miles to Pa. to have Quigley install the 4X4. That took a week. While there I bicycled the C%O canal trail and the Great Alegheny passage. This year I was able to afford the Sportmobile tent top. I mainly use the van as a tow vehicle and for car camping at the Calif. coast. The interior is still open with a fold up cot installed as the only furniture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2570#2.JPG   P1010160#2.jpg  

I thought they only did new vehicle conversions? You took an "already broken-in" van to them? My hopes are up!

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    I thought they only did new vehicle conversions? You took an "already broken-in" van to them? My hopes are up!
    I believe they have criteria for used vehicles...like no more than 3 years old and xx,xxx amount of mileage...i read it on their site...those are pretty bad a$$! if i get rid of the 'burb i may want to go that route too.
    Mike - SoCal

07 Sierra 1500HD
    Ultra Mammoth Wheels 17x8
    Nitto Terra Grapplers - 305/70/17
    Line-X Bedliner and Wheel Wells
    NFab Nerf bars
    CST 4" Spindle lift

08 Hybrid Tahoe - wifey's ride
    McGaughy's 2/3 drop kit
    22x9.5 Tyfun Wheels
    Nexen Roadians 285/45/22

Jr. Mechanic

Under 50,000 miles, I thnk either 3-5 years is their max, and it must pass their inspection.... can save a ton of dough that way.. Only problem is finding a diesel passenger van which they didn't release untill 2011, or a conversion which in diesel are 50-60 grand... to rich for me right now.....

Thats an awesome conversion! I thought about getting a van just for the duramax and with some efi that would be a major sleeper! Just a thought though haha

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!