GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default can anyone give me a heads up on my insurance options for an 89 suburban...

...it will cost me 460.00 a year to add it to my existing auto policy..but I might not be driving it that much and I was wondering if there is some kind of "classic/non daily driver" policies that would save me some money???? thanks in advance for your help!

Is that for full coverage or liability or what? What kind of coverage are you looking for?

Legend

Blog Entries

Yes, I am getting a reduced rate for the reason you mention above. Check with your insurance company and see what the maximum number of miles are to qualify.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

That's about what I pay a year for my 91 Suburban. Between the Suburban and the Bronco, it costs me about 500 every 6 months for insurance. I have them both set up as secondary pleasure vehicles not driven more than something like 12,000 miles a year. I could probably but the mileage and rate down, but it isn't a big deal. I also get a pile of multi-vehicle and multi-line discounts.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

that price is with a multi-car discount and it includes comp, coll, and liability (no mileage limitations). Although I'd hate to consider what they would actually try to give me if it was totaled or stolen

I think that's cheap for south florida insurance.

Yeah, if that's comp and collision, that's good. Both trucks only have liability on them, and the uninsured motorist that we are now required to have.

Legend

Blog Entries

With me listing my vehicle as "recreational only", for my 2008 it costs $600/year, which is a savings of a couple of hundred bucks. The coverage amounts/deduductable are still the same as if I had my truck listed as a "primary" vehicle. It would definitely be worth looking into.

Thanks, I'll look into that "recreational" angle...By the way, the company I have now is Travelers. Too bad my truck wasn't a few years older. If it was 25 years old I could have gotten classic insurance. I had a great policy for 7 years on my 56 chevy show car through parish heacock. It was an "agreed value" policy and whenevery I put more money into it they adjusted my policy with no hassles...except for when me and my buddy put in a memphis audio system that would have retailed for around 10 k parts and labor and they told me that they do not cover stereo equipment....

Legend

Blog Entries

Let us know what you come up with...it will be helpful information for those that do not use their trucks as primary vehicles and/or drive less than 10,000 miles or so per year (or whatever the limit is). I know I never would have thought to ask but our insurance agent suggested it, believe it or not.

I would've loved to hear the stero in you '57.