GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic

Default Differential Fluid change

I'm usually a do it yourself-er but since I am now living at college I don't have my father's garage (and advice) to do it. How much does a garage usually cost to change the fluids?

I just got a price to get mine changed from my local dealership and they told me it would cost $109. I also need to get my power steering and trans done and if I do all 3 they offered a 20% discount. Hope that helps.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Master Mechanic

Thanks, man. If you go with that let me know what your final cost came out to be. My 03 has 85000 miles on it and the guy before me did not do the scheduled maintance so I'm playing catch up.

Have you checked the diff fluid you already have in there? Mileage is a good indicator but at 85,000 miles I would check it before I brought it in. If its not low and doesn't smell or look burnt should be fine. Just a 3/8 drive at rear diff plug. On 4 wheel drives might be different, I can't remember. When I worked at Jiffy lube I serviced some diffs that had just over 100,000 miles and the fluid looked fine. I think they charged about 80$ for diff fluid exchange. Depending on truck model. Checked the diff fluid on my dads 01 silverado and it was fine at 160,000 and he pulls a 20ft boat twice a week.

Rusty
    06 Silverado Reg Cab Stock except for flowmaster 40 muffler, and monroe sensatracs

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack1500 View Post
    Have you checked the diff fluid you already have in there? Mileage is a good indicator but at 85,000 miles I would check it before I brought it in. If its not low and doesn't smell or look burnt should be fine. Just a 3/8 drive at rear diff plug. On 4 wheel drives might be different, I can't remember. When I worked at Jiffy lube I serviced some diffs that had just over 100,000 miles and the fluid looked fine. I think they charged about 80$ for diff fluid exchange. Depending on truck model. Checked the diff fluid on my dads 01 silverado and it was fine at 160,000 and he pulls a 20ft boat twice a week.

Rusty
    x2 on this. My truck is at 115,000 miles and diff fluid is fine so far. Check it first. Only thing I've changed down there is transmission fluid and transfer case fluid (and oil changes obviously).
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

I did my front xfer case, rear diff, partial trans change to Valvoline VI syn (just dropped pan for a filter and magnet clean) at 40k miles last year on my '08. All were pretty bad and I dont tow at all.

The rear diff is SO BLOODY easy to change its a no brainer, front xfer is a bit more involved/tight clearence wise. The Transcooler flush has is downsides too lol.

I just did a full trans flush via transcooler lines 12 qts of Amsoil low viscosity ATF the other day. HUGE improvement in shifts even when 23 deg cold outside.

I agree with ^^^^^. The diff change was very very easy and was definitely worth it for me. There was so much junk I cleaned out with brake cleaner. I don't think a shop would put in the time to clean it like I did.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

hello, i just took my truck for that, i took it to auto oil changers, and they were only going to charge me 44.50 for it, hope this helps