GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Chris....So hypothetically you never bought this burban in the first place, so hypothetically you never rolled it, so hypothetially you never posted this thread either, & hypothetically I'm not really answering it. Is that correct?? lol

***edit seriously, while you have the plugs out, be sure & crank the engine over to purge any oil out of the combustion chambers. If it was upside down for any length of time the oil could have leaked past the rings & pistons & you can not compress liquids. It will break the rings or pistons instead.
    Last edited by stephan; 11-14-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Clean her up, top off the oil, pull the plugs and turn her over a few revolutions, check the trans fluid.
    Dont forget to check the air filter in case any of that hypothetical oil got in there while she was hypothetically upside down.
    I've done the same thing a time or two, from experience I can tell you if the engines still running when you go over you still have about 15-20 seconds to shut things down before you do damage.
    Do I need to hand crank once I get the plugs out or can I turn it over with the key?

I had the engine off before we'd quit rolling....it was super slow motion, we're creeping along this narrow part of the trail and lost the front, had time to say hang on and steer into it and get throttle underneath it. The rut left by the drivers side front tire looked so desperate in the daylight, huge slash in the trail where it was tryin' to pull the front end around. Landed in really soft mud so it cushioned the blow quite a bit, both my passenger side doors still open, shut and lock up straight, I may have to massage the top of the windshield lip a touch to get new glass in there right, and may have to do the same for the rear quarter glass.

I was pretty excited when we got her right side up, because in the picture it looked like the roof was caved in pretty bad, but once she came out of the mud and water we realized she'd just sunk a bit.

Here she is back in my drive way, you can see in this pic my seams up top are still straight, luckily both windows in front were down and even more luckily, no arms made it outside the open windows as we tipped.

Here's the view from the back, there's some dents in all the body panels but it doesn't look too bad.

Anyway, Just got back from gettin' oil and a new filter, I've got 2 plugs out right now and they're clean.....so I have a good feelin' about this one.

My airfilter did get some oil, what should I use to clean the filter and airbox/intake?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Holy Sh*t Chris. After seeing that first pic I'm wishing this had just been a hypothetical scenario. Sorry pal. I'm glad you're ok.

Thx man, there was some decent bullet dodgin' that went on for sure. I took that first pic from the balance beam we fell off, you can't tell but it's 5 or 6 feet into that washout where we landed so yeah....guardian angels and what nots. As long as that engine fires back up I'm golden, I had just ordered VCM suite and had just used 2 credits to unlock my PCM and start tuning it myself...so I got my fingers crossed.....although honestly....since getting this truck a few weeks ago I can say I'm fully addicted to the whole thing, I can't tell you how much fun I've had workin' on it and now tuning. Plus, after this, I have some really useful ideas for storing your guns/flashlights/laptop/phone in securable areas on the floor so that when you're upside down in the mud and water, you can just reach up and grab what you need.

Anyway, I'm losin' the daylight so i'm gonna have to wait on purging the engine, I put the 2 plugs (both clean) I had back in and I'll get to it tuesday when I don't have class....gotta buddy who does glass gonna hit me with an estimate for my windshield and rear quarter.....so I just keep my fingers crossed and hope she fires up on tuesday....if that's a go, well it's time to start cuttin' my teeth on body work and windshield install.
    Last edited by TexasChris; 11-14-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Don't just do those 2 plugs Chris. Pull them ALL OUT & crank the oil out. On the air box, just wipe the oil out with a rag. If you have a K&N or other similar cotton/guaze filter just clean it like you normally would. If it's a paper filter you can try spraying it with brake clean, but it would be better to just replace it so you don't have any tuneing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Don't just do those 2 plugs Chris. Pull them ALL OUT & crank the oil out. On the air box, just wipe the oil out with a rag. If you have a K&N or other similar cotton/guaze filter just clean it like you normally would. If it's a paper filter you can try spraying it with brake clean, but it would be better to just replace it so you don't have any tuneing problems.

Absolutely, I had only pulled 2 out so far but I don't have daylight to finish the other 6 (one per side is a PITA to get in and out) and it's already pretty chilly, so I just hand tightened them back in place to seal the engine, I'll pull all 8 tuesday, turn over with key several times (correct? how many seconds?) to purge. Replace oil and air filters and make sure the intake/maf is clean as a whistle.

Should I refill oil before or after cranking it over with the plugs out?

Legend
    Blog Entries

OK, I misunderstood you. I thought you were only going to pull 2 & when you didn't find oily plugs you were assuming all was ok. All 8 out at one time & crank till it stops blowing oil out the plug holes. It might take 10 seconds, or maybe 30 secs. Have somebody watch both sides to be sure. Once none of the holes are fogging any more oil out, you're good to go.

Yes!! Fill the engine oil back up before cranking it.

You got lucky with the amount of damage considering the drop off size.
    Yea like Stephan said pull all the plugs at once turn the engine over with the starter, it usually only takes a few revolutions before the oil blows out.
    Looks like you mostly slid down the right side and finished the roll when you got to the bottom, doesnt matter how it happened all theat matters is the end results.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    OK, I misunderstood you. I thought you were only going to pull 2 & when you didn't find oily plugs you were assuming all was ok. All 8 out at one time & crank till it stops blowing oil out the plug holes. It might take 10 seconds, or maybe 30 secs. Have somebody watch both sides to be sure. Once none of the holes are fogging any more oil out, you're good to go.

Yes!! Fill the engine oil back up before cranking it.

Lol...yeah...now that I say it out loud that was a no brainer...but thx anyway.

If we were makin' a rule here, could you say that anytime there's a roll over, you pull all 8 plugs and regardless if you spot signs of oil, you go ahead and cycle it a bit just to be sure?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Lol...
    If we were makin' a rule here, could you say that anytime there's a roll over, you pull all 8 plugs and regardless if you spot signs of oil, you go ahead and cycle it a bit just to be sure?
    Yes, unless it continued the roll & landed back up on it's wheels. Wasn't sure how long yours was upside down, but just the fact that it was & sat that way for a while, it could have been long enough for the oil to leak past the pistons/rings.