GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default DIY muffler installation on my burb

A few years ago, a mechanic cut off my stock muffler and replaced it with straight pipe... he said it would increase mpg. While Iíve passed safety inspections since then, this year my truck failed for not having a muffler. L

I am looking at buying the Magnaflow XL Turbo. It seems like a simple job to install one, and all that would be needed is a measuring tape, hacksaw and a couple U-bolts. Would I be totally crazy to attempt this myself?

Any advice? Thanks.
    ~Janet~
    My rig: 1993 Suburban K2500 & 16ft stock trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry horsewoman View Post
    A few years ago, a mechanic cut off my stock muffler and replaced it with straight pipe... he said it would increase mpg. While I’ve passed safety inspections since then, this year my truck failed for not having a muffler. L

I am looking at buying the Magnaflow XL Turbo. It seems like a simple job to install one, and all that would be needed is a measuring tape, hacksaw and a couple U-bolts. Would I be totally crazy to attempt this myself?

Any advice? Thanks.
    Installing a Muffler is not that hard,as long as you have the right Tools/Equipment .....question what about the Catalytic Converter's and 02 Sensor's??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Nope, not crazy at all. Fairly easy, and about as straight-forward as it gets. Cut the tube, slip in the new muffler with the clamps in place, bolt the clamps shut. The pipe needs to flange into itself, so usually, the muffler will have larger openings allowing the pipe to fit inside. The clamp squeezes it tight.

Look for the band-style clamps instead of U bolt style, my opinion. Easier to work with and a better seal...important for off-road/backwoods where you'll be driving over grassland.

Oh, and get a new mechanic. That was kinda dumb removing a muffler on a vehicle that is subject to inspections. Mufflers don't choke cars as much as some folks think...nor do catalytic converters unless (like a muffler) it gets plugged up. You should like the Magnaflow. Should sound better too. Too much noise is bad for the horsies too.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Thanks for the tip re: band style clamps. Will get those. FYI, the catalytic converter was not touched when muffler removed, but he did replace the O2 sensor. The test for the O2 sensor seems simple enough so I will try it this week, but have no idea how to assess the condition of the cat.

Since your putting that muffler back on you should notice a slight increase in low end torque when trailering.
    While your picking up the muffler look at getting some flanges, you sould be able to find pre made flanges that adapt from your pipe to the muffler, youll need one for each end.
    While this is an easy do it yourself project have you talked to any muffler shops about welding it in? Shouldnt be to expensive, probably only be a little more than you'll spend on a new muffler and it'll make it less likely to leak down the road.
    You still have the O2 sensor and cat hooked up right? If so and your not getting any codes theres no real need to check them out, they'll let you know if theyre having problems.

I ordered the muffler and band style clamps this morning from summitracing. Should be here in 2-3 days. I also called local muffler shop. They quoted me $65 to install, so it definitely is worth trying to do myself. Will let you know how it goes!

And... as for testing the O2 sensor... I have an intermittent check engine light issue that is driving me crazy, so I figured it was just one of the many tests I can try to diagnose... but will save this topic for another thread.

My muffler/clamps arrived yesterday. Bought a hacksaw and starting cutting my pipe. When I broke through, clear water (I think) started dripping from pipe. Is this normal??

Talked to buddy. He says it's totally normal condensation. I feel kinda dumb, but oh well. Back to cutting....
    Last edited by backcountry horsewoman; 11-18-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yes, water condensate from the exhaust system is normal.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Got the muffler installed... fits like a glove. Yay! Thanks for the help!

That's an awesome DIY story! Next time you do something like this, snap some photos (not necessarily a step-by-step) to encourage others to do the same.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by