GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Bullydog Powerpup for 06 5.3L

I have a bully dog power pup and an 06 5.3L silverado and was wondering what is the best thing i should do. Is the power pup a good programmer? Should I sell it and get a different one? Is it worth running the programmer on premium and running 93 octane like it says? How much better is premium setting then regular (3 settings, stock, regular, premium) I'm need to programmers and all information will be helpful

James

running 93 octane its self is better for your truck cause it burns hotter and helps extend the life of your motor. you may not notice a difference at first but if you keep running it you should. as far as running the programer that can be tuned to run 93 you might notice a little more power, but i wouldnt run anything else other than 93. your best deal would honestly be to take it to a shop to have it custom tuned
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune ... 320rwhp

Jr. Mechanic

I thought custom tunes are more for a modded truck, i only have an intake and exhaust, so would i really benefit from a custom tune over a normal programmer?

Custom tunes are good if you are done modifying your vehicle, UNLESS the shop that does the tune will perform free updates. However, I highly doubt most shops will "re-tune" your truck for free after every additional modification. If you plan on sticking with just your intake and exhaust, then yes, the custom tune would be better, but if you plan on going with headers, bigger tires, upgraded gears, cam, etc., then you will either have to wait to get a custom tune or buy the programmer and tune as you go. As for programmer choices, I am biased because I own a Diablo but I would recommend it to anyone searching for a hand-held tuner.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

Jr. Mechanic

Well I think I will stick with this programmer, because in 3 months I'm getting a new job and will be able to afford a diesel, which is what I always wanted. So now my question is... How do I run my programmer I have now? 3 categories and 3 settings, Engine (Stock, regular, premiun (requires 93 oct)) Shift points (stock, tow, performance) Shift firmness (stock, regular, performance)

Hope this helps

That has to be your choice. Play around a little bit and see what is a good fit for you. One person may go with stock engine and performance shift points, another may go premium engine with tow shift points, etc etc. Just try out different combinations to see what you feel is best.

Higher octane fuel does not in itself do anything for your engine, other than allow you to run higher compression or more spark advance. Higher octane simply means higher resistance to detonation, which in turn means you can crank the compression up without autoignition of the fuel (no spark added). Now granted there may be additional additives in premium gasoline that improve performance, and help with engine maintenance, but the octane rating itself has no effect.

A common misconception is that running premium gas in a stock engine will always give you more power. On newer vehicles, such as the OP's 06, the computers are generally smart enough even without a programmer to bump up the timing until they sense knock, then back it down a bit, resulting in more power. On your programmer, the "premium" setting will be primarily more aggressive timing tables, and possibly some minor fueling adjustments.

On older vehicles or carbureted vehicles, you can actually get worse performance from higher octane due to set ignition timings, which is why its important to run the correct octane for your vehicle.

BTT, as others have said, try different settings and go by the ol seat of the pants meter and see what you like best. If you don't mind running premium gas, then the premium setting will probably be best for the engine. Shift settings are more what you're comfortable with. Performance type will probably be more punchy (quick shifting)
    Last edited by dualdj1; 11-16-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Jr. Mechanic

Alright, I'll play around with it and let you know.. I'm gonna try to do a before and after video

I was told that Chevrolet builds their engines to run on 87 and that if you use the higher grade all the time it will burn out your O2 sensors?
    2004 Silverado 1500 4X4 Extended Cab, Short Bed LS 4.8L Auto

Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY777 View Post
    I was told that Chevrolet builds their engines to run on 87 and that if you use the higher grade all the time it will burn out your O2 sensors?
    As long as your exhaust gas is getting to correct temp, it shouldn't cause problems with your O2 sensors. That being said, as higher octane ignites slower, the gasses may be cooler by the time they reach your O2, fouling it out quicker, but I can't say for sure. I have never heard of this being a problem though short term, if anything its just slightly shortens the life of your O2 sensors. Can anyone confirm this? I really don't think it'd be a problem with the heated sensors, so long as your mixture isn't way out of whack.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by