GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default yokohama tires opinions

i just put a set of yokohama geolander at/s tires on my truck and my first impression is i don't like the feel of them. to me it feels like the back of the truck is floating around. i'm not sure if it's the tire or i just got used to worn tires and the new ones feel weird. i was just wondering if anybody else had this feeling with these tires or going from old to new for that matter. the place that i got the tires from has a 30 day return policy and if i don't get a better feeling from these tires i'm going to use it.
    2008 Silverado 2500 HD Crew cab LTZ 6.0

Legend
    Blog Entries

DId you put 8ply tires on or just the regular light duty tires? because it sounds like you didnt get the correct load rated tires for the truck and you were used to the stiffer tires, and with an HD you will want the stiffer tires (there is an actual term that is escaping me as of this moment) since the HDs actually weigh more than what the normal tires are supposed to take.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

x2 on that. I think your minimum load rating should be at least a D if that sounds right? I'd even go with an E if you can.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Should be an E... D is for 1/2ton trucks.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

X2. E is what you want under a 3/4 ton
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Sell em and get some Toyos.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

I was watching a hunting show a few weeks ago and the shows host had a toyo tire fail after he just got them and they had under 2000 miles. He was pissed off. They were open country at's. I guess every manufacturer can have a tire fail but it dissuaded me from toyo's.

Quote Originally Posted by ridick_bowen View Post
    Sell em and get some Toyos.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I imagine they set the correct pressure for your specific vehicle.
    Have you tried adjusting tire pressure a bit? Start with the vehicles recommend tire pressure and either increase or decrease pressure. Talk to the store and see what they say about the way the vehicle is handling.
    Bottomline....if you have any issues with the way the vehicle is handling with these specific tires take them back and try something else. Take advantage of that warfranty and return policy. Try some other brands. There are plenty of very good all terrain and mud tires out there. Goodyear has some nice tires. The Bridgestone revo's are popular. I love my BFG T/A KO's. They ride so damn smooth on the highway and are tough and do a good job in snow and off road.

Quote Originally Posted by ministock8 View Post
    i just put a set of yokohama geolander at/s tires on my truck and my first impression is i don't like the feel of them. to me it feels like the back of the truck is floating around. i'm not sure if it's the tire or i just got used to worn tires and the new ones feel weird. i was just wondering if anybody else had this feeling with these tires or going from old to new for that matter. the place that i got the tires from has a 30 day return policy and if i don't get a better feeling from these tires i'm going to use it.
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Silver Metallic, 5.3L, 3.73 Gears and G80 Heavy Duty Locking Rear Differential, American Racing Off Road Series ATX Chrome Assaults 17X8, BFG T/A KO's 245/70/17 (Stock Size).
    Alpine ida-x303 head unit, Alpine Power Pack, Alpine SPS-600 Speakers
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers
    42" Slider Windows
    Custom Bed with 6" Memory Foam Mattress
    Avery Berber Carpet

Jr. Apprentice

the yokohamas are 10 ply load range E. i was told by the tire guy that toyo tires don't get along with gm front ends. tire pressures have to be in a pretty narrow range because of the tps. i'll give it the rest of the week. here in connecticut i've already had a variety of road test conditions, including snow.

My Burb is a 1/2 ton, but I've been running those same Yokohama tires for nearly 3 years now. I have had no problems with handling at all....as long as they are at the right pressure. Any tire will wiggle you around if it's too soft...and the Yokies will sure let you know. I forgot about mine during the summer (only short 5 mile trips and 100+ temps) so I didn't notice until it cooled off that my tires were about 10 lbs shy on air pressure. I topped them off and bingo: tightened right up again.

Good AT tire for off-road/dirt roads. Do good in sand too. I've never had to air them down off-road (but then I don't wheel my 2wd Burb too much!) and they have handled my overly-aggressive road driving pretty well too. I bought them because I my work commute included about 6 miles a day of non-maintained ranch access road in the southeastern Arizona desert. They held up well and still do great on our monthly Boy Scout camping trips.

Being a C1500 Burb, I don't have much for you with heavy loads and towing. I don't tow, but I did a 600 miles trip with the 'Burb loaded to the gills...she was effectively lowered 4/6 inches front/rear. Tires did quite well. I have five kids and it hauls all seven of us and all the girls' crap all over SoCal just fine, including the big Sam's Club/Costco monthly shopping trips.

2 1/2 years, 35k miles, I'm guessing I'm at about 1/2 the tread life. As long as I lay off the burnouts...
    Last edited by Gryphon; 11-14-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Jr. Apprentice

thanks gryphon. a guy at work suggested that i was so used to tires with very little tread that the ones with tread feel weird to me. the pressures are where they're supposed to be if they weren't the tps system would let me know about it. i'm starting to get used to them so we'll see how it goes
    thanks again
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast