GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 Silverado Cranks but wont start

2000 Silverado Ext CB Z-71 5.3 Gas. Has a intermittent problem that is now severe, cranks with no start. If I turn the key and the dash gauges wont move I know it's not gonna start. Only light on is the message center with the red battery appearing. I can also move the gear select to any gear without touching the brakes. Once I try cycling the key a few times the gauge cluster and warning lights appear and then the truck starts fine. Once the gauges appear normal at that time I can no longer move the gear lever freely must step on brakes like normal. My dome light also won't light up and remote door locks wont work at times. I have a feeling this is all connected in some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a DIYer with some automotive experience.

Default 2000 Silverado Starting problems

2000 Silverado Ext CB Z-71 5.3 Gas. Has a intermittent problem that is now severe, cranks with no start. If I turn the key and the dash gauges wont move I know it's not gonna start. Only light on is the message center with the red battery appearing. I can also move the gear select to any gear without touching the brakes. Once I try cycling the key a few times the gauge cluster and warning lights appear and then the truck starts fine. Once the gauges appear normal at that time I can no longer move the gear lever freely must step on brakes like normal. My dome light also won't light up and remote door locks wont work at times. I have a feeling this is all connected in some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a DIYer with some automotive experience.

Just in case someone else looks for this problem it ended up being the ignition switch on the electrical side.

Sr. Engineer

So did you have to replace the ignition on the steering column?

Glad you got it fixed though.