GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Bilstein 5100's vs Rancho RS5000

Anyone have them? or know anything about them?

I want to replace my stock mushy shocks with something better suited for the offroad conditions I regularly drive. Washboard roads and beat up off roads/ rocks, gulleys etc for the most part. I am not going 4 wheelin or muddin just getting myself into the boonies over rough roads and I want a firmer ride and I don't need anything fancy like adjustables.

I am leaning to the Bilsteins because they match the color of my rig. Lol
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 11-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Silver Metallic, 5.3L, 3.73 Gears and G80 Heavy Duty Locking Rear Differential, American Racing Off Road Series ATX Chrome Assaults 17X8, BFG T/A KO's 245/70/17 (Stock Size).
    Alpine ida-x303 head unit, Alpine Power Pack, Alpine SPS-600 Speakers
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers
    42" Slider Windows
    Custom Bed with 6" Memory Foam Mattress
    Avery Berber Carpet

anybody know anything about shocks?
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Silver Metallic, 5.3L, 3.73 Gears and G80 Heavy Duty Locking Rear Differential, American Racing Off Road Series ATX Chrome Assaults 17X8, BFG T/A KO's 245/70/17 (Stock Size).
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    42" Slider Windows
    Avery Berber Carpet

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not mechanically inclined re: shocks or have much experience with them, but I did do some research on them for myself a while back. The majority (on many websites, professional and forums) seem to prefer the Bilsteins 5100 over the RS5000...but sorry, I do not remember all the reasons why.

On a side note though, if I remember correctly I think that the 5100s are used in conjunction with adjusting height (i.e. larger tires, leveling kit, etc). I think that if you are just going to replace your OEM size shocks and keep the same height that Bilstein makes a HD (Heavy Duty, I think) version. However, my memory could be way off, so you should look into (or someone please correct me if I am wrong). Based on your comments on why you were wanting to change shocks, I did not think you were changing the height, so I thought it would worth mentioning as you are doing your research.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 11-15-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

No I won't be changing height. I don't know anything about shocks either and I am just starting my research on what I need and what I should get. I have been to both manufacturers websites. I will go and look for these heavy duty Bilsteins you mentioned.
    I thought these 2 shocks were basically a replacement OEM shock? I mean a much better shock but generally close to an OEM one and what people get to replace their oem ones with a slight upgrade.
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    42" Slider Windows
    Avery Berber Carpet

Legend

Blog Entries

I just googled and found some info pertaining to the Bilstein Heavy Duty. I pasted the link below as well in case you want to check out the site yourself as it seems to contain some other info that may help too.

The Bilstein Heavy Duty is a high pressure monotube shock that will give you a firmer, more controlled ride while towing, hauling, offroading, or just highway driving. The 5100 series is a stiffer monotube shock designed to be able to level your truck by lifting the spring seat between 0.5″ and 2″. With a leveling kit already installed, you’ll want to use the Bilstein 5100 shocks, the front is logner than a standard unit to compensate for the suspension lift. You can see those parts here:
    http://blog.shockwarehouse.com/2010/...100-explained/

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks
    I have been all over bilstein and rancho's site. I am afraid that neither the 5100's or the rancho's will fit a Savana. Atleast that is what the guy at Summit Racing just told me. I have emailed both co's to see if they make shocks for a GMC savana. Initially I figured they would fit. We shall see.
    Thanks for your response.
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    42" Slider Windows
    Avery Berber Carpet

Legend

Blog Entries

You're welcome...sorry to hear the news. I hope you find something that will work soon, as a great set of shocks will make a difference.

TIRES: