GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Whoooo- NICE BIKE!!
    I find as I get a bit older the hardtails appeal to me a bit more.
    Of course-not much real MTB in south Louisiana.

Nice present you gave yourself!
    I've been sending bikes in the other direction-just sold a nice rigid Trek 930- double butted cromo frame-decent components- to a young woman-student- who just had her Trek 800 ripped off. She was happy with the 930-few steps up from the 800.
    Oh, I threw in a decent chain lock.
    I occasionally buy/fix/sell bikes- make a few $$.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Whoooo- NICE BIKE!!
    I find as I get a bit older the hardtails appeal to me a bit more.
    Of course-not much real MTB in south Louisiana.

Nice present you gave yourself!
    I've been sending bikes in the other direction-just sold a nice rigid Trek 930- double butted cromo frame-decent components- to a young woman-student- who just had her Trek 800 ripped off. She was happy with the 930-few steps up from the 800.
    Oh, I threw in a decent chain lock.
    I occasionally buy/fix/sell bikes- make a few $$.
    Charlie
    I really love the simplicity in a hardtail. I would have gotten a 2011 but I fell in love with this color as soon as I saw it. The pictures really don't do it justice.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    Well I just started so I really don't have the best bike, I just bought it mainly to get across campus. I have a 26" scwhinn with Shimano thumb shifters and gears. I'm thinking about upgrading soon to a Trek 3 or 4 series with disc brakes. You said you wanted a 29'er, one of my friends just bought a 29" Gary Fisher. That thing is beautiful, and from what I've heard it's a completely different riding experience.
    I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 293 (29") and love it. Well, that is when I ride, which I haven't done in awhile. Tough to get out when you have a little one running around. Plus, there isn't much riding on Long Island. When I lived in NJ, there was a park right by my apartment I could ride to. At 6' 4" the 29" bike makes a big difference. I even rode it in the 5 borough ride through NYC. Started off with a Specialized years ago and liked that brand. My buddy rides a Cannondale which he loves.

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 293 (29") and love it. Well, that is when I ride, which I haven't done in awhile. Tough to get out when you have a little one running around. Plus, there isn't much riding on Long Island. When I lived in NJ, there was a park right by my apartment I could ride to. At 6' 4" the 29" bike makes a big difference. I even rode it in the 5 borough ride through NYC. Started off with a Specialized years ago and liked that brand. My buddy rides a Cannondale which he loves.
    I tested a cannondale out when I was looking for my current bike. It was a really sturdy feeling bike, kinda old though...

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Cheez- it is a VERY NICE color!-RICH RED!
    Is that metal flake I see?
    Metal flake always looks better "in person" than in pictures. Pictures just don't give the full metal flake effect.
    Red, black, some blues, some greens, occasionally white and some yellows are great bike colors.
    Hmmm, guess I like most colors.
    Charlie

I've noticed that the Cannondale's chew up the frame rail by the chain. I've seen more than a few that have done that. The Gary Fisher bikes are amazing. I've done some MTB'ing in Vermont and they rent out GF's and I always felt comfortable on them no matter what position I needed to be in on the bike. I had a Specialized first and liked it, but wanted a full suspension and when I heard about the 29'er, couldn't consider any other bike.

Cheez: That is a sweet looking bike. As mentioned the pics don't do it justice, but I'm sure that doesn't bother you one bit when you're riding it.

Cheez, that IS a great looking bike. I'm jealous of those disk breaks too! That was going to be my next upgrade but I started buying stuff for my truck and that hasn't quite stopped yet. LoL.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Vincennes-where in TX? Near Austin?? What levee??

Charlie
    Hey, sorry I'm so late on this reply. I was ridding the switchbacks on those levees at Lake Bryan just outside of Bryan, Texas. Oddly enough, they have some very nice mountain biking trails out there. Their trail committee does a great job of keeping them well maintained, too. Anyway, one side of the lake is a levee (it is, of course, a manmade lake) so they integrated it into a few of the trails. It's a great way to practice fundamentals.

Legend

Vincennes- better late than never-
    Those man made lakes I see all over TX- they are mainly water reservoirs that catch rain with some recreational potential-irrigation ? Whatever soils line them are more or less impermeable-clay or bedrock??

So those levees have decent elevation gain-20 feet or so?
    Our river levee looks HUGE, but my best guess is the elevation gain is only 25-30 feet which is plenty for an old gimp like me to pump up and down for a workout.
    Thanks
    Charlie

Yes sir. Oddly enough, we only have ONE natural lake in all of Texas (if I remember correctly). The rest aren't all manmade in the sense that you would make a pond (dig out a hole and fill it with water). Almost all of them are the result of a river or some other sort of tributary that has been dammed up which created the lake. it's nice to have them, either way. The soil depends on the region too. There is a lot of clay in East Texas which makes for a great lake bottom... clay doesn't hardly absorb any water. In and around central Texas there is a lot of limestone. It makes many of the lakes in the Austin area look beautiful and clear.

If I had to put a height on the levees at Lake Bryan I would say that they're probably about 20-25 feet high. You end up with a switchback that is made up of about 4 horizontal lines and 3 turns. It's great practice and certainly good excercise. You really have to push your self to get back up that levee after you've ridden several miles of trails.

What kind of terrain do you ride in LA? rocky? Lots of roots? woods?

Legend

So they start those lakes with a little river -wondered about that. Limestone under some of them-it was part of an inland sea 100 million years ago, right? We drove somewhere-maybe it was Carlsbad NM(the caves) years ago. I remember standing on this ridge and you could sorta "see" the shoreline of this sea?
    Maybe it was somewhere else, but I think it was Carlsbad??

The only terrain(elevation gain loss) south Louisiana is the levee-otherwise it is light trails , shell roads, maybe light grassy trails. Lotta folks ride on the levee-mainly as asphalt strip now- it was hard packed shells years ago. Some ride along old railroad rights of way-mainly just light level grassy trails-

Bikes are fun!!
    Charlie

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by