GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Mountain Biking?

Just recently started college here in La. I'm not to far from the Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston. From what I've heard they have a pretty well known trail. I love riding, it's a great stress reliever and and great way to see the fall tree (for now). Anybody else like to bike on here?

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

Cheez, I dabble in Mountain Biking here and there. Like you said, I enjoy it more in Fall and Spring. I ride a Giant Yukon with Shimano gears and clip ins. I have had the bike for almost 2 years and so far so good. I am wanting to step up to a 29'er but just not sure about a single gear. What do you ride?

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Cheez, I dabble in Mountain Biking here and there. Like you said, I enjoy it more in Fall and Spring. I ride a Giant Yukon with Shimano gears and clip ins. I have had the bike for almost 2 years and so far so good. I am wanting to step up to a 29'er but just not sure about a single gear. What do you ride?
    Well I just started so I really don't have the best bike, I just bought it mainly to get across campus. I have a 26" scwhinn with Shimano thumb shifters and gears. I'm thinking about upgrading soon to a Trek 3 or 4 series with disc brakes. You said you wanted a 29'er, one of my friends just bought a 29" Gary Fisher. That thing is beautiful, and from what I've heard it's a completely different riding experience.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Black rear fender-wells
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Blue footwell lighting
    Full LED interior

The Trek's are really nice bikes. Once you upgrade to a bike with disc breaks you will never be able to ride a horse shoe again. Yeah, I have been looking at the Gary Fisher 29'er and I just can't fork out that much money these days.

________2013 4C Rated__________

I don't mountain bike but I do ride some flatland BMX
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

I completely agree, Cheez. Mountain biking is a GREAT stress reliever. I got really into it for a while. I have a Trek 820 with Shimano XT hubs, Mavic rims, Shimano Altus rear derailleur, and clipless/platform pedals (clipless on one side and platform on the other... its a great way to provide extra functionality to your bike).

I used to go out quite a bit but I had a serious problem of continuing after several miles of riding had me pretty warn out. That's never a good idea because you lose concentration. I wrecked out and tacoed my front wheel (which led me to the purchase of XT hub/Mavic Rim set up). A few months later I took on a trail that was a little too advanced for me and I wrecked out pretty badly. Ended up flipping over my bike and tore every ligament in my left shoulder causing my clavicle to completely separate from my shoulder blade. It was the absolute worst pain I have ever felt (even worse than fracturing my ankle in 3 places playing high school football back in the day). Needless to say, I haven't been back out in a while. I'm sure I'll mount back up before too long, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    Well I just started so I really don't have the best bike, I just bought it mainly to get across campus. I have a 26" scwhinn with Shimano thumb shifters and gears. I'm thinking about upgrading soon to a Trek 3 or 4 series with disc brakes. You said you wanted a 29'er, one of my friends just bought a 29" Gary Fisher. That thing is beautiful, and from what I've heard it's a completely different riding experience.
    I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 293 (29") and love it. Well, that is when I ride, which I haven't done in awhile. Tough to get out when you have a little one running around. Plus, there isn't much riding on Long Island. When I lived in NJ, there was a park right by my apartment I could ride to. At 6' 4" the 29" bike makes a big difference. I even rode it in the 5 borough ride through NYC. Started off with a Specialized years ago and liked that brand. My buddy rides a Cannondale which he loves.

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 293 (29") and love it. Well, that is when I ride, which I haven't done in awhile. Tough to get out when you have a little one running around. Plus, there isn't much riding on Long Island. When I lived in NJ, there was a park right by my apartment I could ride to. At 6' 4" the 29" bike makes a big difference. I even rode it in the 5 borough ride through NYC. Started off with a Specialized years ago and liked that brand. My buddy rides a Cannondale which he loves.
    I tested a cannondale out when I was looking for my current bike. It was a really sturdy feeling bike, kinda old though...

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Black rear fender-wells
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Blue footwell lighting
    Full LED interior