GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Front brake vibration

Yes, I am sure you have heard this one before. 140,000 miles, turn the rotors regularly, torque the lug nuts...but can't get rid of the brake vibration. Any suggestions?

I have considered aftermarket rotors and pads - Power Slots???

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macs98burb View Post
    I have considered aftermarket rotors and pads - Power Slots???
    That won't really do much for the vibration IMO. You might want to check bushings in the front end. You might have some that are worn out, or gone.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Unless you pay for real expensive aftermarket rotors (something like Brembos) you probably wont solve the problem and may make more problems. Most aftermarket rotors are more prone to warping than OEM.
    If the rotors have been turned and measure in specs try looking at the brake pads, sometimes brand or type can cause this problem.
    Check the tie rod ends.
    Bushings as already mentioned.
    Front hub bearing condition.
    Worn shocks have been known to cause issues like this.
    And I've recently seen one case of brake vibration caused by a defective front brake hose.

Don't rule out the rear brakes misleading you...
    So you torque your wheels on instead of blasting them on with an air gun. Good for you. I do too. Nothing can ruin a good brake job faster than blasting the wheels back on at about 200ft/lbs...LOL

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    Nothing can ruin a good brake job faster than blasting the wheels back on at about 200ft/lbs...LOL
    What only 200?

I took our old horse trailer in for new tires, and the n00b who put the new ones on broke five lugs(2 on one tire, 1 an another, and 2 on another-tandem axle trailer), because he didn't change the setting on his gun.
    Or whatever dumba$$ reason he had. You'd think after the first one broke he might have dialed it down some, but not this guy.

i also have brake vibration in the front. Its only when im slowing from 50+ that i really feel it. I think its warped rotors though
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

I think everyone has covered all of the real world reasons for your vibration problem.

I am just throwing this out because no one else has.

Are you sure it’s not the anti lock braking system kicking in?

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Default vibration

92-99 Burbs have a TSB regarding replacment of the brake proportioning valve. It seems the same valve that is used in pickup doesn't accomodate the extrarear end weight of the Sub. The new valve puts more pressure to the rear wheels and prevents the fronts from overheating thus eliminating the worping of the rotors and the vibration when you get on them. This also helps the famous poor brake wear they are famous for. See Mighty Auto parts TSB June 99 for more details article tittled gimme a brake.

all I know
    Flyboy

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    What only 200?

I took our old horse trailer in for new tires, and the n00b who put the new ones on broke five lugs(2 on one tire, 1 an another, and 2 on another-tandem axle trailer), because he didn't change the setting on his gun.
    Or whatever dumba$$ reason he had. You'd think after the first one broke he might have dialed it down some, but not this guy.
    LOL! What did he have to say about that overall? I hope they tapped them out and put new studs in for you, hopefully they matched up too.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Question I'm having same vibration

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    92-99 Burbs have a TSB regarding replacment of the brake proportioning valve. It seems the same valve that is used in pickup doesn't accomodate the extrarear end weight of the Sub. The new valve puts more pressure to the rear wheels and prevents the fronts from overheating thus eliminating the worping of the rotors and the vibration when you get on them. This also helps the famous poor brake wear they are famous for. See Mighty Auto parts TSB June 99 for more details article tittled gimme a brake.

all I know
    Flyboy
    I did not know about TSB. My 97 burb 1/2 ton is having vibration issues in front also when brakes are applied. going to replace rotors first. previous owner obviously did'nt check regulary rotors in bad shape. Any suggestions on after market? went to JC whitney decent rotors? Or should I stick OEM?
    :tuxout:[I]brian[/I]

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by