GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question which gas is better to use on my 05' silverado??

hello everyone, my question today is i was wondering which gas would be better to use in my 2005 silverado truck, any help will be appriciated thankyou

Legend
    Blog Entries

reccomended is 87 octane so that really will be cheapest and is what is reccomended.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

thankyou murdog94 for responding, for someone reason i always thought the number higher than the 87 octane would be better for my car

I would not use more than what is recommended for regular use. Sometimes I step up but only for towing a heavy load for a long trip.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

well if you have a programmer, i recammend 91-93 octain. it costs more, but runs a little cleaner, its better for you engine and it will increase your milage... with a tuner it will increase your MPG instanly with out a tuner it will take some time for your computer to adjust... but i get 4-5MPG better on primium fuel not to mention the power gain

110 octane, or 90% nitromethane 10% methanol alcohol...but 89 is probably your best bet..
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

haah yeah my car runs on 116 leaded gas... but thats not cost efficient

If your truck has the stock tune than 87 is fine. If you can find a gas station that sells non-ethonal than use it. We have a gas station near us that sells non-ethanol, its more money but we use it in all our trucks and they run better and get alot better gas mileage, worth paying the extra.

x3....On what....Murdog94....Silvertrailblazer on going with....87 Octane....

Too many people drive around with medium or premium gas in their tank when they just don't need to. If your owner's manual says "regular", it means it. Putting mid-grade or premium in is just wasting money. Why? Unless you have a high-compression engine which could be prone to detonation (pinking / pinging), you have absolutely no need for high-octane petrol. The only thing that higher octane gives you is less probability of detonation. In high-performance Vehicles with high-compression engines, that means allowing the engine management system to work at peak efficiency but for probably 75% of you, your Truck will quite happily run on the cheapest petrol you can put in it. Not an improvement in fuel economy per said, but a money saving at least.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

i guess i would have to agree without a tuner you wont get much if any higher MPG... with a tuner a reprograms the tune on your computer to run on the fuel it tells you too (mine says 91-93) then i get higher MPG however i pay more for it... in the end i about break even... but i still run the primium for the higher performance and qualty fuel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast