GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Swap out the 5.3 for 6.0

I was wondering if anyone has ever done or heard of a engine swap put for the 5.3 to a 6.0. The Burb is paid for and I do not want to buy new or used but I need more power for towing and was wondering if I can do a direct swap out from the 5.3 to the 6.0. Any help would be great.

Things that have to be changed?
    Trany, Exhaust Manafolds, Computer.

I was hoping to get away with not changing the trany and the exhaust.

Or would it just be easier to through some upgrades on the 5.3?

Borla exhaust, Mass Ari flow, K&N, Bully Dog Chip, Super Maxx Headers and flow through cats.

I pull a 28 foot inline all alum trailer loaded weight about 3500 LBS.

Thanks.

Legend

if you really want to do a engine swap go to gm performance and the should have a engine for ya that would directly swap with the 5.3, now if you had a burban with a 350 in it the did a little partnership with edelbrock for a direct 502 swap without changing tranny or gears which is what i may do when/if my 350 goes. i am sure there is some kind of stroker kit for a 5.3 as well, this would help give you the tq you would want for towing
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

i wouldnt bother with a swap. go with the upgrades. intake, exhaust, programmer, etc. it will be cheaper and more fuel efficient as well
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

The 6.0 can be installed, but at a big expense. New trans, exhaust pipeing between the manifold and cat would need to be replaced, new trans and motor mounts, new computer, possibly new gauge cluster if the trans speedo system wont talk to the existing gauges. This would be a big job to get everything right and smog legal.
    The problem with swapping in a HiPo GM crate motor is how soon do you plan on replacing the trans, these engines develop a lot of HP and that old trans wont last long under the strain, plus they arent as "plug and play" as advertised, they do have additional issues to work through with electronics and exhaust.
    The best deal would be a GM crate motor that develops HP somewhere in the neighborhood of your existing engine and hop it up a little bit. Or if your engine isnt ready for replacement bolt the extras on it.
    In Ennis Texas theres a gentleman thats bolted a 6.0 with a vortec supercharger into his 96 2wd Suburban, it wasnt intended to be a street vehicle so some items havent been put on the truck (exhaust, functioning speedo, lots of emissions) the Sub has been stripped out and the rear frame narrowed with tubbed wheel wells. It runs 122 mph in the 1/4 mile. Its still a work in progress. He had close to $9k just in the engine swap without doing emissions and exhaust and prior to engine rebuilding and the Vortec Supercharger.

I'd bore it out and stoke it! That would definately give you higher HP & TQ which would be good for towing. I'm pretty sure you can swap the stock assembly out and drop in a LS1 rotating assembly with a little bit of machine work if I'm not mistaken.

I have the Borla Parts too and love it, my brother got his used from craigslist but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Borla Parts Exhaust 14818, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamadog View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has ever done or heard of a engine swap put for the 5.3 to a 6.0. The Burb is paid for and I do not want to buy new or used but I need more power for towing and was wondering if I can do a direct swap out from the 5.3 to the 6.0. Any help would be great.

Things that have to be changed?
    Trany, Exhaust Manafolds, Computer.

I was hoping to get away with not changing the trany and the exhaust.

Or would it just be easier to through some upgrades on the 5.3?

Borla exhaust, Mass Ari flow, K&N, Bully Dog Chip, Super Maxx Headers and flow through cats.

I pull a 28 foot inline all alum trailer loaded weight about 3500 LBS.

Thanks.
    my 00 Sierra has the LQ9 6.0 swap. the engine came out of a 06 Escalade. (originally mine had the 4.8l) trust me when i say this. its not hard to do the swap. as long as you get all of the wiring, computer, and emissions stuff out of the donor vehicle. everything will go smoothly.

transmission wise. im running a 4L60E (didnt have to change mounts)built by TCI(part #371015). with a Sat. Night Torque Converter. you can go a stock one if your going to keep the motor somewhat stock. but if you towing..i would at least beef up the trans with a good clutch/shift kit.

as far as exhaust. i dont know about the burbs..but mine just bolted right up. remember the 4.8/5.3 and 6.0 is relatively the same design. a custom bent echaust by a good muffler shop is not that much money. it will be in the price range of an over-priced catback exhaust.( around 350-500) depending on what kind of mufflers you run and how big the piping is.

its well worth the swap. the difference was night and day. especially with a heads/cam and intake upgrade like mine has. 445RWHP. i've surprised a lot of vettes, camaros, mustang GTS and Cobras with it. in the end the old saying goes " You Cant Beat Cubic Inches"
    02 Chevy HD 6.0Liter w/ Allison Trans, 6in Fabtech lift, 16in Eagle Alloy Rims on 35" Mud Brutes, Debadged, 6k HIDs, Smoked Tails, Summit Glasspack Custom catback exhaust
    00 GMC Sierra, LQ9 6.0 Swap H/C/I, TCI built trans,ZEX 100hp NOS,dynomax race bullets 445Rwhp
    05 GTO PBM, M6, H/C/I 463rwhp/SCT tuned. R.I.P

Oh btw..from MY EXPERIENCE with my swap..ALL i repeat ALL of my gauges and such still function properly. as long as you get the donor vehicles computer. everything is kosher.

I've been dwelling on this for a few months now. I don't plan on swapping for at least another 2 years, but when the time comes I want to do it right! Papi, what sort of price are we looking at here for the all-inclusive 5.3-6.0 swap?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by