GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Transmission fluid change /flush at 106k

I'm sure this has been asked.. but I couldn't find it real quick... so I'll ask.

My 2007 Chevy Silverado classic 4x4 has 106k miles... I need to do some maintenance on it, with the transmisison being my main focus...
    I've heard of the flushing machines...but highly expensive... whats the difference between that and just dropping the pan? Is there a way I can do the flush myself if that's the preferred method?

I'm planning a 1600 mile trip around Christmas, pulling a trailer...want to make sure everything is ready to rock!
    Matt
    Wichita Falls, TX
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Classic LS 4x4, 4.8L
    Thrush Welded muffler, dual exhaust
    HELO MAXX6 18" Rims, Torza Tri Fold tonneau cover :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

The beauty of the flushing machines is you get the torque converter flushed too, but if you have been getting the trans serviced at the recommended intervals, you probably don't need the tc flushed. Just make sure you get the trans cooler to drain s t requires disconnecting the lines.
    To do a good job of flushing the converter, you would have to service the trans, fill fluid etc, run it to circulate the new fluid with the old that was in the converter, drain & fill again. Probably not worth the money or the work for a couple quarts.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

So dropping the pan (I haven't gotten under that to see if its got a drain) and changing the fluid and filter should be good?

Legend
    Blog Entries

You'll want to drop the pan & replace the filter too. That's the main reason most manufacturers don't put drain plugs in trans pans. Even if it does have a drain plug, pull the pan & repl the filter. Pulling the pan also gives you a chance to check for debris in the pan & get an idea of how your trans is doing. If there's a lot of it, save it & show it to a trans man. He can tell you what it is & can judge by the quantity just how bad or good your trans is.
    Have you been having regular trans services? What mileage interval?

It's easy and safe to flush the fluid in your trans yourself. Start by dropping the pan, and removing the filter. This is a good time to install a drain plug in your pan. You can weld in a pipe threaded bung, or use a bolt together style like this.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Transmiss...3670&t_pl=8493

While it's important to change the filter each time like Stephan mentioned, the drain plug will make the whole process easier and cleaner.

Install the new filter, pan gasket, pan bolts, etc. Overfill the trans, put in two gallons. Now, the fun part. Remove one of the lines at the trans cooler. Using a piece of hose and a large bucket, start the truck. Direct the trans fluid flow into the bucket. Once you have pumped out about a gallon, shut off the truck and add another gallon of fluid. Start the truck back up and keep pumping till you see the color change to the new clean fluid. Shut the truck off and put everything back together. Check the fluid level and adjust as necessary.

A few things to consider:

A pan and filter service will typically change about a third of the fluid. Maybe a little more if you let the trans sit overnight and the converter drains back some. This process will change about 90% of the fluid, and do it safely.

If you can shift the transmission through the gears while pumping out the old fluid, you will pick up a few more percent from the valve body, accumulators, etc.

You might want to figure out which line to pull first. Most effective is to pull the return line, install a fitting to connect your hose to. This will allow you get the old fluid out of the cooler also. A helper is good, he (or she of course) can add fresh fluid to the trans as it's being pumped out so you don't have to shut down and restart during the process. Or simply sit in the cab to shut down if needed while you do the work.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Hi Folks,

New to the site...just got my Silverado...love it.

My trans service procedure that I have used works like this...

I have a top sider oil change system that I paid $30 for at Overtons. I draw the fluid out of the top...add 4+ quarts...drive a couple of miles and do it again.

I'd say you get at least 90% clean fluid. If you have enough clutch/bushing material in the pan to clog that big ol filter then servicing it anyway you decide won't help anyway.

Do this every 60,000 and you won't ever have to drop the pan or fool with cooler lines.

Personally I've seen the flush machines introduce someone elses crude into an otherwise clean trans...

Just my way but it's worked in every vehicle I've owned for 15 years.

Jim

That procedure won't even come close to getting 90% of the fluid. Sorry, just simple math.

Ok you are right....how do you do this? Pay somebody to use a flush machine that has been used 1,000 times????

Did you read post #5? I've posted the same procedure on other threads here also.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JIC396 View Post
    Personally I've seen the flush machines introduce someone elses crude into an otherwise clean trans...
    Good point, the machine is only as good as the guy who takes care of it & cleans it out. We used to have a "gas caddy" we would pump fuel out with when we had to drop tanks. We all used it, but no "one person" was responsible for cleaning it, so it NEVER got serviced/cleaned.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by