GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Electric brake controller?

What does it take to select and install an electric brake controller for my 99 Suburban?

I've never used one before and all I know is that there are 2 types, pendulum and time delay.

Is the pendulum type better? I still want to be able to tow my small boat which does not have trailer brakes; will I still be able to hook to my plain flat-4 connector?

thanks for any info

John

Extremely easy to install, just plug it in under the dash (if you have a factory brake harness connected). Then just mount the bracket on the bottom lip of the dash and your good to go. When you plug a device into the harness that doesn't have brakes the controller will know this and it won't have any ill effects. I use a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter when I tow my small trailer. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Tekonsha P3 controller. I LOVE it compared to my older time delay one.

Thanks for the helpful input. I just found out that the 99 Burban was not wired at the factory for a port so I think I'll have the shop do the install. All in for around $425 sound right? Includes a P2 Tenoshka.

John

Installation isn't terrible if you have small hands and can get under the dash. The brake controller should only have 4 wires, ground, constant power, the switched side of the brake switch, and the line running to the 7-way connector going to the trailer. The hardest wire to hook up will be the brake switch line because it's tucked up in the dash.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

The P2 is about $130 and the factory wire harness is about $50. So that leaves about $250 in labor. It shouldn't be that hard of an install, but it all comes down to if $250 is worth your time or not. I would imagine 2 hours if you went really slow.
    2001 Yukon XL 2500
    8.1 Liter (badged on rear) w/K&N filter
    20" wheels with 305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Alpine deck (w/ipod), Polk speakers, Kicker 700.5 amp, Rockford P3 12" sub, and video screen
    LED tail lights
    Predator tuner
    new carpet and seat covers

I, too, have a Tekonsha P3 and love it. What size is your Burb and does it have the trailer package? My 2500 had the wiring in place, just not hooked up. I think it's an orange and blue wire zip-tyed to the firewall just below the master cylider.

As Crawdaddy and Z28Johnny have said, it's not too hard to wire in; and somewhere I have a picture of where to plug into the cold side of the brake switch. If you decide to wire this yourself, I'll find the picture.

If you have the time and ability, you can save a ton of money doing this job yourself.

Good luck!

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!