GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default future suburban owner here with some questions

hey guys! My name is Khori Carnes and im looking at getting a suburban. i have a couple jeeps right now one is a wheeler (93 jeep cherokee 5 spd 2 door mud tires small lift) and my daily driver is a 2004 jeep grand cherokee limited with the 4.7 v8..im wanting to get rid of it bc i also use it to tow my other jeep to where i wheel it and now my group of friends are starting to venture further and further from our normal wheeling grounds and i dont trust the transmissions in the grands to pull 5k pounds behind it thru the hills..so im wanting to get a suburban, late 90s, with the 454...i want a suburban also so i can camp in it when we go camping..

my occupation is truck driving so i know all about how important it is for having the right tow rig..and to be honest pulling that weight with the grand, although it has plenty of power it doesnt have enough weight...the trailer likes to tell the jeep where to go instead of the other way around...

anyways, some more questions to come in the other sections

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard! another consideration would be a Burbon with a 6.5L diesel (lots of power better fuel economy)
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome and good luck in your search!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Another consideration is the 3/4 tons with the 5.7 (350)-they have the weight and the brakes to adequately tow 5000-6000 lbs- no problem.
    Of course they won't tow as briskly as a 454 or 502(7.4 or 8.1) but they won't be any where near as thirsty.
    If FE isn't much of a concern-because of low miles per year -the 454 is the obvious choice.

The 6.5 diesel has its fans, but TDs always seem to cost a lot more to maintain than a SBC or BBC. It isn't the motors that break, but the FI and such-and the FI systems cost more than transmissions to maintain.
    Heck you can get a new 5.7-Goodwrench new not rebuilt-for $2200 dropped on your curbside.The 454's maybe double-triple that.
    Gasoline GMs are cheap to maintain, repair, replace-diesels different story.
    With the right gearing the 5.7 is a decent tow vehicle-granted not as good as a 454-but much cheaper on gas when not towing-about the same FE when towing I would guess.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

yeah welcome to the forum. hope you find your truck!

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Another consideration is the 3/4 tons with the 5.7 (350)-they have the weight and the brakes to adequately tow 5000-6000 lbs- no problem.
    Of course they won't tow as briskly as a 454 or 502(7.4 or 8.1) but they won't be any where near as thirsty.
    If FE isn't much of a concern-because of low miles per year -the 454 is the obvious choice.

The 6.5 diesel has its fans, but TDs always seem to cost a lot more to maintain than a SBC or BBC. It isn't the motors that break, but the FI and such-and the FI systems cost more than transmissions to maintain.
    Heck you can get a new 5.7-Goodwrench new not rebuilt-for $2200 dropped on your curbside.The 454's maybe double-triple that.
    Gasoline GMs are cheap to maintain, repair, replace-diesels different story.
    With the right gearing the 5.7 is a decent tow vehicle-granted not as good as a 454-but much cheaper on gas when not towing-about the same FE when towing I would guess.
    thanks guys for all your input...and yea ive been kinda scared away from the diesels bc i have friends with diesels and when they each had to put just one new injecter in it was cost them 2 grand..but fuel economy doesnt bother me at all...im only home on the weekends so i figure what the heck..and my wheeling cherokee is still street legel, altho not pretty, so i can drive it for the short runs around town..and im thinking after i buy the suburban im going to start looking at getting a corvette so ill have that for my vacations when i drive down to athens GA to see my sis..im just the kinda guy that the bigger the better..lol

by the way here is my wheeling cherokee from the last time i wheeled it..lol..this is my main money drainer right here
    i currently have a 93 jeep cherokee sport 5spd 2 door, 2 inch lift, mud king tires factory limited slip flowmaster, so many dents it looks like it is made outa tin foil

2004 jeep grand cherokee limited 2 inch lift flowmaster 4.7 v8...wanting to get rid of it for a suburban

just a side note... I think they consider the 8.1 to be a 496 not a 502. And maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any questions asked of you lol
    2001 Yukon XL 2500
    8.1 Liter (badged on rear) w/K&N filter
    20" wheels with 305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Alpine deck (w/ipod), Polk speakers, Kicker 700.5 amp, Rockford P3 12" sub, and video screen
    LED tail lights
    Predator tuner
    new carpet and seat covers

Nice pic!,welcome!
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Johnny View Post
    just a side note... I think they consider the 8.1 to be a 496 not a 502. And maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any questions asked of you lol
    i asked a question in the suv forum for the suburbans Yukon XLs...im really just trying to learn as much about the 454 and the suburban as i can..any helpful info thrown out there is helpful even if not asked i guess..

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

hey thanks Bigbomber..yea in that pic i was on top of that ravine strattling it and then the drivers side dropped from as high as the passenger side is down to where it was..ive been in that situation before when there wasnt something for it to lean against like that and my buddies behind me said the high tires were coming off the side of the hill bc it was getting ready to roll all the way over into a creek...i could feel the high side bouncing slowly off the hill too like if i hit just a big enough rock with that side it woulda been just enough to throw it over

by the way i drove that jeep outa that ditch on its side like that ripping the door handle off and pretty much destroying the whole door..but i didnt need a strap..lol
    Last edited by drummerwookie; 11-22-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    i currently have a 93 jeep cherokee sport 5spd 2 door, 2 inch lift, mud king tires factory limited slip flowmaster, so many dents it looks like it is made outa tin foil

2004 jeep grand cherokee limited 2 inch lift flowmaster 4.7 v8...wanting to get rid of it for a suburban