GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Yep, & if the governments "Cap & Trade" (Crap & Tax) passes, we will all be required to use nitrogen I'm sure. Not so bad for the anti-corrosion properties, but I can just see the lines of cars in small towns where there is only ONE SUPPLIER with one pump for miles around who is legally authorized by the government to pump up your tires for you..ha ha ha
    Hey stephan I don't know why your laughin.This kind of stuff will probably happen.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

LOL, Yeah no way in hell would you ever want to PAY for nitrogen for your tires but if it is FREE then I will continue to take advantage of it and IF there are any benefits then that is ok. I see no disadvantage to it and the benefits might be slight. But never pay for a nitrogen fill that would be a complete rip off..

LOL Tim, glad your wife is smarter than most. Not only would my past w/gfs have fallen for the new nitro b.s. & happily paid $40. for the fill, they'd have been so excited, they'd have been out there waving people in off the street to buy some ha ha ha
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Silver Metallic, 5.3L, 3.73 Gears and G80 Heavy Duty Locking Rear Differential, American Racing Off Road Series ATX Chrome Assaults 17X8, BFG T/A KO's 245/70/17 (Stock Size).
    Alpine ida-x303 head unit, Alpine Power Pack, Alpine SPS-600 Speakers
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers
    42" Slider Windows
    Custom Bed with 6" Memory Foam Mattress
    Avery Berber Carpet

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Hey, I will fill your tires with 78% nitrogen for just $1 each-can't beat that!!

If N2 does leak a bit more slowly than O2 then over time as the O2 leaks and is replaces with 80% N2 you would eventually end up with a N2 concentration of over 78%.
    In theory over time the conc of N2 will increase as the O2 leaks out faster.In fact I suspect the leaking differential is so small that it doesn't matter.
    Now the H20-can promote corrosion if O2 is present- in humid climates like Louisiana it could be 3%-6% of the air at times.At 99 degrees the partial pressure of H20 is 47mm- 47/760 so at 100% humidity 47/760 =6% Now most cars have aluminum wheels-not too big a deal for a little corrosion/

It is mainly a gimmick for cars-a way to make a $$.
    Charlie
    PS I take that back-I'll put 100% N2 in for $1 wheel-how will you know that I'm pumping in 78%-I'll mark my tank 100% N2- I have a special "filter" in my compressor- it "catches" the N2!!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbomber View Post
    Hey stephan I don't know why your laughin.This kind of stuff will probably happen.
    You're right Bigbomber. I guess I was laughin to keep from cryin, cuz I can see it happening all around me in all areas of our everyday lives. People keep voting these controlling mutts into government without doing their homework first & seeing what they really stand for & what they are doing. And the elected mutts just keep legislating our cars, trucks, our sport & our freedoms out of existence.
    $20. for a nitrogen fill won't keep most of us from driving, but what about when it's $50. or $75.? They can covertly keep us from driving by raising the cost of everything associated with it, gas/diesel prices, registration fees, higher insurance cost, tire tax, tire disposal fees, battery tax & disposal, mileage tax, luxury tax, gas guzzler tax on new vehicles. It just never ends.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

LOL, Nitrogen is Free at Costco and a bunch of other tire stores, Les Schwab, Tires Plus, DIscount tires etc.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    LOL, Nitrogen is Free at Costco and a bunch of other tire stores, Les Schwab, Tires Plus, DIscount tires etc.
    Where do you live? It's not free here. It's free with new tires IF you bought them from the mutt who is supplying the N, but after that it costs $$$ no matter where you go.
    My buddy bought 4 tires from Costco, (free N. fill "I think") but it is 45 miles away to go back (90 miles round trip)..ha ha ha

I bought my tires at costco in reno, nv. There are 2 costco's in reno, you just pull up to the garage bays and they come right up and fill them up for you, they have free nitrogen refills, lifetime rotations and wheel balancing, lifetime warranty. I imagine if you tried to go to another tire store where you didn't get your tires they might try and ding you for $$$ if you need some air in your tires and you asked for nitro. Retailers are trying to squeeze any dollar out of your pocket they can these days. I go to gas stations around here and all over and you have to pay for regular air or water. They have machines that supply air/water and you have to feed it quarters. If I didn't have the free costco/nitrogen I'd just buy a Slime tire inflator for $50 and not have to deal with that hassle.

Where do you live? It's not free here. It's free with new tires IF you bought them from the mutt who is supplying the N, but after that it costs $$$ no matter where you go.
    My buddy bought 4 tires from Costco, (free N. fill "I think") but it is 45 miles away to go back (90 miles round trip)..ha ha ha

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yep, same here as far as having to pay for air & water with the little quarter machines at the gas stations. Reno's great. You're lucky. I love that place. I used to come down there all the time for the Porsche schools.

I also just bought a set of BFG all terrain TA/KOs but haven't got my wheels polished out yet, so I haven't mounted them yet. Have you driven yours far enough to get any impressions? Are they noisy on asphalt/concrete highways/roads? Are they noisier at any patricular speeds?
    Last edited by stephan; 11-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.

I have been running the BFG's since the early 90's on a Jeep and now on this GMC Savana you can see in the pics.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...gmc-savana-awd
    I got close to 70K from them on the 94 jeep grand cherokee I used to have. I love them. They got me through some wicked deep snow up at Lake Tahoe every week and got my ass to the ski resorts 8 am for pow days.
    On this Savana I am very happy I stuck with them and bought them again. I looked at Good Year Silent Armours, Toyo Open Country's, Nitto's Grapplers, Michelin LTX at's all of which are very good tires but I took the safe bet and bought what I know. These tires are running beautiful on this van I couldn't be happier as they are running nice and straight with no vibration or anything at ANY speed. They are quiet. I got heavy on the peddle accidentally and got my vehicle up to 90. It felt like I was doing 50. I couldn't even tell I was going so fast as the vehicle rode so smooth with them. Now I don't know if that is due entirely to the tires or the vehicle... more likely both. So They drive great on the highway and get me through the off roads I drive on constantly to get in the boonies for flyfishing. I have yet to drive them in the deep snow with this 2010 vehicle but with my jeep they were great. In all the years I have run them and beat on them I have never had a tire fail in any way so I am a big fan.
    You'll love them.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Thanks Flyfisher, It's nice to get a good report on the BFGs' as I've never owned a set before. I saw the photos of your van over at the other thread & it is NICE.