GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retreads???

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Yep, get a used tire.
    Lots of folks change out perfectly good tires because they want new tires, or they went to a bigger wheels.
    Get a used tire.
    Charlie
    PS Retreads were common in the 50's-60's but I really don't remember seeing ANY ad for a retread-light duty- in 30 years or more.
    Now that tires have suddenly spiked in price- maybe they will make a comeback.
    On the other had I just bought 2 235/75 15 Michelin tires with the OEM steel wheels-must have been OEM spares for my 1998 Suburban-$100 on CL.Yeah, they must be oldish, but no cracking and very little wear(zero in fact-don't think they ever touched the road).It would have cost me about $380 to get them at Sams-mounted on my rims.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I purchased a set of AT retreads from treadwright and so far so good (3 months). They came on BFG TA donor tires and the tread is almost exactly the same as BFGs. They were about $360 delivered to my door and had Walmart do a lifetime mount/balance for about $50- so $410 out the door.

I did quite a bit of research before purchasing and even the 4wheeler magazines gave them good reviews. If you're looking for cheap mudders you'll want to at least investigate a bit- check out the web.

I'll try to remember to post updated on tread wear.
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform |95 BMW 325is coupe- Wheeee!
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

I agree with wis bang I to worked driving truck with the same results.. What tanker co did you work for??
    1998 K1500 Ext. Cab 4.3 5spd
    Amsoil, CIA

2007 Harley Davidson Vrod
    Amsoil, Vance & Hines 2into1, K&N Topless,
    Screamin Eagle Racetuner, StageII cams,
    Carbon fiber front fender, and a few more lil goodies:wink:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12