GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have been watching the Brit version since it came on BBC America. A total riot, except I'm getting where I can't stand Clarkson anymore. He tries to act "too stupid" when in reality, he doesn't really have to act at all to accomplish it, ha ha.
    Did you guys see the "Winter Games" episode where they launched a Mini Cooper off the ski jump with "J.A.T.O." rockets strapped to the back of it? A must watch!!
    Thanks for the heads up on the U.S. version. I hadn't heard that it had been started yet. Who is hosting the US version?
    Last edited by stephan; 11-22-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Meant to say ski JUMP, not ski "lift"
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Blog Entries

US version is a lot better than I had expected. I've been watching the BBC Top Gear for a long time, and I do agree that the US top gear isn't as good as the BBC version-YET. If you go back and look at the first couple seasons of the Brit TG, they were pretty terrible really-Jeremy, Hammond and James didn't click much. Already Adam and Rutledge are clicking, and teaming up against Tanner Faust (I've seen 2 episodes of Supercars on Speed, and both times I've wanted to punch Tanner in the face because he can be a annoying prick) so I think this show has great possibilities. I mean next week it looks like there is gonna be a blind guy being taught to drift by Tanner, things are lookin up

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Legend
    Blog Entries

LOL Kid, I'd like to punch Tanner Faust in his pie hole too. I love it whan Paul Tracy kicks Tanners whining "silver spoon entitled ass", on the super car battles. LOL
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I didn't even realize that there was an American version. I've only ever seen the British version. For those of you who have Netflix, I believe Top Gear is an Instant Watch! So, you can watch to your heart's content. One of my favorite episodes is the special "Polar Special" where they build up a truck and attempt to race a dog sled to the North Pole. If I remember correctly, no vehicle had ever made it. They did.... eventually. Haha. It was good, though.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes02261897 View Post
    I didn't even realize that there was an American version. I've only ever seen the British version. For those of you who have Netflix, I believe Top Gear is an Instant Watch! So, you can watch to your heart's content. One of my favorite episodes is the special "Polar Special" where they build up a truck and attempt to race a dog sled to the North Pole. If I remember correctly, no vehicle had ever made it. They did.... eventually. Haha. It was good, though.
    Great suggestion on the Netflix....would have never thought to look there.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

yeah next week tanner will be teaching a blind guy how to drive./.. pretty exciting

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Ive been watching the BBC version for quite a while i wasnt home to watch the american version, i dont know how much ill like it since its a remake and the guys on the BBC version are a riot!!
    I watch a lot of the original bbc top gear and was also very skeptical about a western version. I only caught about 10 minutes of it and couldn't handle it. Its a straight rip off of the original in. The way that the studio looks very similar and they have a stig which you can't really replicate the original stig. Plus it just seems like it wants to be the exact same. I think the history channel thought the show was popular just because of the cars and i know the reason i watch it mainly is for clarkson and hammond. The hosts make the show, i like the cars and even though they are completely against american car makers on most stuff they are very blunt and know their sayin what they actually feel. Plus its seriously just tue most entertaining show on television in my opinion. And the american host just seem real plain and fake. That's my opinion but i think the main reason people like you or me aren't gonna like it is because we have actually seen the original. People that haven't are more likely to probly like it. That's my swing on things.

i think the stig is the other guy from battle of the super cars... the guy is about the same size and wears the same suit

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiKid View Post
    US version is a lot better than I had expected. I've been watching the BBC Top Gear for a long time, and I do agree that the US top gear isn't as good as the BBC version-YET. If you go back and look at the first couple seasons of the Brit TG, they were pretty terrible really-Jeremy, Hammond and James didn't click much. Already Adam and Rutledge are clicking, and teaming up against Tanner Faust (I've seen 2 episodes of Supercars on Speed, and both times I've wanted to punch Tanner in the face because he can be a annoying prick) so I think this show has great possibilities. I mean next week it looks like there is gonna be a blind guy being taught to drift by Tanner, things are lookin up
    I do agree that the Top Gear before the reboot and when May first joined for the first few seasons were pretty dull. They didn't do any of the awesome races and such they just did tests and acted like news reporters. I don't mind if they make an american version, but they didn't have to make an exact copy. It just annoys me that they have all the same things the original like having a stig that looks and acts like the "real" stig. I wouldn't mind if they had the same concept but what really really irritates me is that the studio is a replica all the way down to the metal lap time board. I may be just a little more bitter than i should be though. I mean can you tell me that im wrong about that. If your gonna make a show off of a classic wouldn't you want to have it be original in some sense? I don't know it just makes me annoyed but like i was sayin i am over reacting. But one thing is for sure, nobody can come close to being as awesome as Clarkson. I do like that instead of watching cars being reviewed that we over here had never heard of we can actually see cars that have the steering wheel on the right side of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhitt86 View Post
    I do agree that the Top Gear before the reboot and when May first joined for the first few seasons were pretty dull. They didn't do any of the awesome races and such they just did tests and acted like news reporters. I don't mind if they make an american version, but they didn't have to make an exact copy. It just annoys me that they have all the same things the original like having a stig that looks and acts like the "real" stig. I wouldn't mind if they had the same concept but what really really irritates me is that the studio is a replica all the way down to the metal lap time board. I may be just a little more bitter than i should be though. I mean can you tell me that im wrong about that. If your gonna make a show off of a classic wouldn't you want to have it be original in some sense? I don't know it just makes me annoyed but like i was sayin i am over reacting. But one thing is for sure, nobody can come close to being as awesome as Clarkson. I do like that instead of watching cars being reviewed that we over here had never heard of we can actually see cars that have the steering wheel on the right side of the car.
    It's not a rip off, the reason it is so similar is because the producers of the original version are involved in the U.S. version, I believe it is their goal to give viewers the same experience, but from a U.S. point of view. The British version won't work with "mainstream America" thus they created the version for the History channel. Judging by the first show it looks like they are going to do many of the things they've done before. Since I'm English I prefer the original, but since I live in the U.S. I'll give the U.S. version a chance, although it will be tough not to compare, you just have to keep in mind that both shows come from the same producers and are designed to fit their respective audiences
    Adam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast