GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Gear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    It's not a rip off, the reason it is so similar is because the producers of the original version are involved in the U.S. version, I believe it is their goal to give viewers the same experience, but from a U.S. point of view. The British version won't work with "mainstream America" thus they created the version for the History channel. Judging by the first show it looks like they are going to do many of the things they've done before. Since I'm English I prefer the original, but since I live in the U.S. I'll give the U.S. version a chance, although it will be tough not to compare, you just have to keep in mind that both shows come from the same producers and are designed to fit their respective audiences

^^ Couldn't agree more with this, although I have to say I'm shocked to hear it coming from a Brit ;)

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

I love the BBC version, will have to check out the American.

-JJ
    04 Silverado Ext-Cab 2wd LS w/ 5.3L
    Spectre Performance CAI
    FLOPRO Dual Exhaust
    Bakflip HD Bedcover
    2005 Z71 17in wheels on Duellar A/Ts
    DDM Tuning 6k HID Low Beams
    Sony Headunit w/ iPod
    Blacked out Bowtie and Windows
    Matched Paint for bumpers and grill

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well last night i watched the American Version rerun from Sunday, and it was good, but it reminded me WAY WAY to much of the Brit version. Mabey with to much drama, in the standing mile runs etc, and their driver is exactly like the Brit version.. I dunno if ill like it as much. Time will tell since i like the BBC version since there really isnt any drama persay, which makes it a little more interesting to watch. As i said time will tell...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

So I just watched some (what I could stand) of the US Top Gear on history.com. Even if the producers are the same they needed to change it up enough for those who have watched Top Gear on the BBC for years to still enjoy this show. The only thing I think will be different in a good way is that the US show will have pick up trucks on there other than the Hulix. Once they previewed what the season highlights were and I saw a car filled with water trying to take off down the track all I can think about was "its been done" AND could they have not come up with a different Stig??? Why call him by the same name? Why have him wear the same suit?

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiKid View Post
    ^^ Couldn't agree more with this, although I have to say I'm shocked to hear it coming from a Brit ;)
    Aaah, that's the advantage of living here for so long, I can see both sides of the coin. I will always be proud of the fact that I was born in England but I've lived here long enough that I'm pretty "Americanized", so much so that my wife feels cheated that my accent has pretty much gone!!
    Adam

Blog Entries

Aaah, that's the advantage of living here for so long, I can see both sides of the coin. I will always be proud of the fact that I was born in England but I've lived here long enough that I'm pretty "Americanized", so much so that my wife feels cheated that my accent has pretty much gone!!
    And there she was thinkin she would get to wake up to that accent very day-next thing she knows you're buy a Silverado and you don't even refer to the US as a colony any more!!

Hahah, I appreciate that you can see both sides of the coin-most people (my self included) get caught up in choosing a side.

BBC version is great and probably a little too abrasive for American humor, but i like it. There was a dig on the brits on the second episode calling them liars. Pretty good. The hosts need to get better chemistry or new people or something. The trash talking which makes the brittish version so great is absent on the American set.
    2008 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3, 2WD, Texas Edition

2004 Grand Prix GT

1992 Corrolla

I liked that part when he called them liars... i like how it is on the american one, i am a tanner fan, and i think that the other 2 guys are pretty funy. but most of all i watch it for the cars, and the skits are pretty cool too!

well I have to say I’ve seen every one of the bbc episodes including the final one which I thought was a sad day and I have now watched the American version the times its been on and I am giving the American one sometime but so far I haven’t gotten the excitement to want to see the next one like I did with the bbc version. I also have driven a few different vipers and didn’t care for any of them they gave it way too much credit. I also have to say that it is pretty lame that they couldn’t come up with their own show they had to copy everything from the BBC version to make the American one. the other thing is that we don’t have roads here in the states to test super cars on we have speed limits they can open those cars up in Europe on the autobahn they have to have special permission to do that here so you’re not getting a real life run on the cars like they do on the bbc version.

Been watching the British version since its been on BBC America, (some of you are aware I was born in England) I caught the U.S. version and it wasn't too bad. I believe the producers of the British version are involved with it. It looks very similar but after watching the original for so long it seemed a little weird. For those that don't know, Top Gear is a car show unlike any other, highlighted by Supercars that none of us can afford, insane challenges, irreverent politically incorrect humor, a "Star in a reasonably priced car" and once in a while a road test that is actually relevant. If you like British humor, better known as biting sarcasm, I highly recommend it!
    I've been following the British version for years. Hell, I have friends that are convinced they've gotten me into Top Gear but I've been watching it long before the words "top Gear" ever rolled off of their tongues. I've seen the American version and it just doesn't work for me. I have no idea why they just didn't continue to air the British version here (I'm pissed I don't get BBC America). They're testing all the same cars. It seems like they're trying to reformulate a formula that already works so well (taking the basic Top Gear Format and changing the dynamic of the hosts/relationships of the show because they're using different people with seemingly less witty humor) That's just my two cents....

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille