GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Head Gasket or Intake Gasket?

Hope someone can help me. I have an '04 Z71 with 5.3. The other day when I started the truck, it started blowing alot of white smoke. It smelled like coolant and I noticed that my coolant was low. I checked the oil and it was fine.....no milkiness or moisture. I even drained it to make sure and it was okay.

I have done some reading and have heard 2 things....the head gasket OR intake gasket.

Can someone please help and tell me which one it likely is.

thank you,

JC

Jr. Mechanic

Is the truck running hot? If it's just blowing white smoke and smells like anti-freeze, more than likely it's just an intake gasket.

Well, what symptoms does the truck give when driving? You can take a can of an aerosol spray of some sort (carb cleaner or similar) and spray it around the intake manifold to check for external intake manifold leaks.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k.daddy1 View Post
    Is the truck running hot? If it's just blowing white smoke and smells like anti-freeze, more than likely it's just an intake gasket.
    X2 what KDaddy said, & if you want to look a little deeper, pull some spark plugs & see if there's some H2O/coolant on them. If it's a leak from water passage to intake port it may not be open to the outside so checking for vacuum leaks with the spray won't help you to find it. Also you might want to look for bubbles in the cooling system as this would indicate it is a head gasket...or worse, a cracked head.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Intake manifold gasket failures are a lot more common that head gasket failures on GMs of all sorts.

I would bet it was manifold-just based on likelihood-lot cheaper to fix than a head gasket also.It can be a DIY fix-the head gasket is a much bigger deal for a DIY guy.
    Some of the aftermarket suppliers claim their latest gaskets-their highest priced ones--$70 set-will not fail again-fancy syn rubber and steel gaskets.I used them-so far so good.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    pull some spark plugs & see if there's some H2O/coolant on them. Also you might want to look for bubbles in the cooling system as this would indicate it is a head gasket...or worse, a cracked head.
    This is the easiest test. A plug will look white (steam cleaned) on a cylinder that has a leaking head gasket.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Default WOW, thanks for all the replies

Yeah, it started running hot the other day when I found out the coolant was low. Usually runs around 190, but went up to 220 so I shut it down. Again, thanks for all of the input. I am off next week, so I guess that would be a good time to tear it down. One more question......do I need to remove the fuel rails and injectors to take the manifold off. I don't think I will, but not totally sure.

thanks again and have a Great Thanksgiving everybody,

JC

Hey guys - isn't the 5.3 a dry intake? No coolant?

I'm looking at a pic of the gasket, only seeing the intake ports with sealing surfaces.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

I have the same problem on my '89 Burban 350. I am hoping it's the intake gasket. It'll burn white smoke and even miss for a short bit then once she warms up it burns off and runs fine, I don't think it is a head gasket, emotional support here to help me believe so is greatly appreciated, lol. Loose about a half gallon a month. Gonna run it till winter when I can't get the boat on the water then it will give me a project to do. By back aint lookin forward to hanging over the radiator for a few hours though. I also have heard rumorrs form elsewhere that the intake is the more likely culprit......
    1989 GMC Suburban V1500 1/2 ton 4 x 4 350 c.i. f.i. 4 spd auto 187,000 mi and counting.....

Northport - your problem could be an intake gasket, but the TBI gaskets are not nearly as notorious for failing as the Vortecs are.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast