GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Driver's door window doesn't work

Activation the switch does nothing. zIs this a switch issue?
    John

2001 Suburban 1500 4WD LSD

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yes it could be. Swap the passenger door switch with the drivers side. This is the easiest way to check it.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Yes it could be. Swap the passenger door switch with the drivers side. This is the easiest way to check it.
    Good advice...I imagine that could work with a number of problem items...I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yes, swapping parts works well. I once convinced my ex that her Chevelle would be much faster with my 3:08 gears than the 4:11s that were in hers, so she let me swap them out. (she didn't understand the distinction between "quick" & "fast") Shortly after that she needed a new clutch, cuz she was slippin the heck outta it trying to get it rolling ha ha ha ha
    Just desserts for an ex lol

Legend

Actually, the easiest would be to put a voltage detector on the switch, if there is power on both sides then it would be the motor and not the switch.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

The switch clicks when I push it, so I think it may be something else. Can anyone point me to directions on how to get the inside door panel off?

you'll have to pop off the area where your switches are and disconnect them and pull the piece surrounding the door pull. then its just a matter of taking out a few screws and maneuvering around the door pull. if it's like my 02' there is one screw in the bottom of the panel as well.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rs6er View Post
    The switch clicks when I push it, so I think it may be something else. Can anyone point me to directions on how to get the inside door panel off?
    The switch clicking tells you nothing about the electrical functioning of the switch.
    The clicking only means that the spring & the detent are good.
    Make it easy on yourself & swap the "questionable" switch with the known good one as stated above, before you take the door panel off. It takes 5 minutes & is the EASIEST place to start.

Sr. Apprentice

I got the switch unit out of the truck, but I'm having difficulty removing the back. Even with the tabs removed from their holes, I can't pull it apart. Someone suggested I swap switches with the passenger door, but this things just got a circuit board on it. How can I test that switch, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Stephan- do you mean the entire unit switch with all of the door and window switches?

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I guess the only way to check if the window mechanism works is to jump the terminals in the connector. Does anyone know the colors of the wires coming from the driver's door window motor? A new switch is over $100.