GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission Impossible: Filter Seal is fused with trans!

I have a 06 Silverado 4.8L with 76,000 miles and I can't get the trans filter seal out. It has 16 bolt pan so I think it is the 4L60e. I have tried pliers, screwdrivers "phillps, flat head, cureved, straight , etc" and it will not move. I finally gave up and left the old seal in there but not before a piece of the rubber seal got scratched off. Is there an easy way that I don't know of to get this thing out? Did I do the wrong thing by leaving the old one in there? The new filter went in fine and feels secure. Bolted everything up and 1,000 miles later still seems to be shifting ok although the trans feels like it hangs up a little on the 2nd to 3rd shift. But that is only before its warmed up then it shifts fine. I am new to the site so hope I am not posting too early. I tried looking up with the search but could not find an exact problem like mine. Thanks for the help guys.

Rusty
    06 Silverado Reg Cab Stock except for flowmaster 40 muffler, and monroe sensatracs

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Rusty, I've never taken a filter off the 4L60E but from what people here have said it is just a remade electrical version of the 700R4. Is your filter tube round & approx 3/4"-1" diameter with an o ring for sealing up into the trans inlet bore? If so don't worry about using 2 orings in there. I have used 2 o rings (sometimes 3) for several years in my 700R4 just to make the filter more secure so it isn't flopping around. The damn filter can flip & flop around like a fish out of water with only 1 o ring & there really isn't any way to make it more secure other than adding o rings to it. If that's what you did, you're fine.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Hey Stephan,
    Thanks for the advice. I looked up the 700r4 filter and the 4l60e and they look the same especially the tubes. I think your idea will work but I still have to get the old one out to have room for the orings. The seal in the 4l60e is more like a 1 inch long metal bushing with a hard plastic or rubber coating and doesn't flex like an oring. When I put the new filter in it was kinda of floppy like you said but not too bad so hopefully it wont move. Guess I will leave it for now and hope nothing bad happens. BTW good luck with all the snow yall are having up there. I have never driven in snow but doesn't sound fun. LOL!
    LAter man.

Rusty
    06 Silverado Reg Cab Stock except for flowmaster 40 muffler, and monroe sensatracs

Legend
    Blog Entries

So this is not the O ring seal that you're talking about? I thought you had the old O ring stuck in the bore..

Here is a Picture of a.....4L60e......Is the part your talking about BlackJack1500.....in the middle of the picture??......

If the New Transmission Filter did not have a Snug fit after installing it in to the ......Transmission Filter Seal....the Trans.Filter overtime may work its way out of the Seal.....??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Mike, in your pic if you disregard the dust cap in the middle & look around the rough edges from 11 oclock around to 2 oclock it looks like that is the tube of a filter broken off in the bore. Is that what I'm seeing?

How did this happened, I think you have to change the part.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Hey Mike, in your pic if you disregard the dust cap in the middle & look around the rough edges from 11 oclock around to 2 oclock it looks like that is the tube of a filter broken off in the bore. Is that what I'm seeing?
    Stephan.....That is a Picture from A Link, On doing a Transmission Service on a 4L60e......I wasn't able to pull the whole link last night.....

In the picture.....the person is showing one of the ways to remove the ....Transmission Filter Seal.....by using a screwdriver and Carefully bent the metal part of the Seal Inward....Once he was able to bent it far enough, he was able to get a pair of safety wire pliers on it & pull it out....and careful Not to nick the aluminum housing on the Transmission,

....Below is the whole link with a Write-up and pictures,.....on Servicing the 4L60e Transmission,
    http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forum...ead.php?t=4636

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

What '99Heartbeat showed is how I've changed my filter seal. A small screwdriver tapped in one side with a hammer and then pulled out with a pair of needle nose pliers. When installing the new seal I put the seal on the rounded end of a ball-peen hammer and press into place.

Legend
    Blog Entries

OK Thanks Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast