GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Headlight Is Fogged.. Should I replace? If so, from where?

Hello all!

First off, I own a gorgeous red 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 (Regular Cab, 5.3L V8, Manual Trans).. Anyways, I entered my garage the other day to find that the headlight appeared opaque in appearance.. (I believe this is referred to as headlight fogging).. I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to restore the light to its original beauty? Or is replacing the assembly the only option? In the case that I must simply replace the thing, I've already done some looking around online for possible vendors that I may buy from, and I've narrowed it down to two.. Honestly, I'm an online shopping amateur so I don't know how to spot a good deal from a bad one.. Out of the two that I've narrowed it down to, which looks like a better deal??
    http://www.autolightcenter.com/chevr...s.html#MTIxOTQ
    or
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/HeadLights/...tm_content=LHL
    ?? Or please tell me I don't need a new one!! :P

Yes. Buy new fog lights and send me the old ones. =)
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

There is a another option other than buying new headlight assembly's..... Mother's does make a Headlight Restoration Kit.....and I've used this kit and I was Very Pleased with results.

PowerBall 4Lights® Headlight Restoration Kit
    Designed to quickly and safely restore, maintain and protect all types of smooth, shiny plastic and acrylic headlights to crystal clarity. Mothers® PowerBall 4Lights® Headlight Restoration Kit easily cleans away yellowing and stains, and even buffs out unsightly hairline scratches, smudges, and flaws in a single step. The included PowerPlastic® Polish restores crystal clarity; leaving a tough protective oxidation inhibiting polymer layer to guard against future degradation from the elements.

#07250, includes: Polishing Tool, 8 oz. PowerPlastic®, two Restoration Pads, 15” x 15” Microfiber Towel

Go to Power Products to see the entire family of Mothers® power polishing and waxing products.
    Go to Special Care to see Mothers® complete selection of plastic, vinyl and glass care products.
    Got car care questions? We’ve got answers. Find out more at http://www.waxforum.com and http://www.detailguide.com.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Those headlight/foglight restore kits suck. Just buy new ones and send me the old ones.

If you're talking about moisture on the inside of the lense, it's from a cloth flap for the strobes, they become un stuck from the backing of the fog lights, and then moisture gets inside, eventually your lenses will fall off, and then rocks will hit your bulbs, and then you'll need to replace them, UNLESS you fix the strobe hole.

Just go under your truck, take the bulb out of the socket, unbolt the brackets from the bumper, and then take them inside for a couple days, try putting them in the oven at a VERY low temperature, to evaporate the moisture inside them, when you think you've done the best you can, take a silicone adheasive and try your best to stick the piece of cloth/plastic vinyl, and stick it back to the backing of the fog light.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

OR............

You could buy new ones and mail me the old ones. Hint hint! Wink wink!

Hey guys.....Macyreed....Is talking and asking about Headlights, not fog light's......and I just got done using this kit from Mother's and doing a set of headlight's for friend......and they Came out Great.....he could not believe that they were the same headlights.....with that being said.....it also depends on How bad the fogging is on the Headlight lenses .....some are beyond repair.

http://www.gpona.com/forums/do-it-yo...hilit=hardcore

I used the method in the above link on my wife's GTP headlights and it works much better than the kits, I've used kits before and while they work they don't last. The above method calls for a final step that adds a coat of polyurethane which protects the lens from the elements. Also X2 on the fact that the OP is asking about headlights.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

By the way welcome to the site
    Adam

X2 on Heartbeat's comment. I used the Mother's kit on my dad's truck and with was amazing. They really do look almost new.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    http://www.gpona.com/forums/do-it-yo...hilit=hardcore

I used the method in the above link on my wife's GTP headlights and it works much better than the kits, I've used kits before and while they work they don't last. The above method calls for a final step that adds a coat of polyurethane which protects the lens from the elements. Also X2 on the fact that the OP is asking about headlights.
    I agree with you 100% Adam......The way those headlight's were Restored.....they will look like that...(Like New).....for a Long,Long time...over the Mother's kit I used....Both ways of restoring Headlight Assembly's is in some cases, is the only way Someone can Go.....as the Cost of Factory Headlight Assembly's....can be Expensive .
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-23-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by