GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 5.3 4x4 rear end noise

I have 5000 miles on my truck. I notice a clunk noise in the rear end in the morning when I am leaving my home and driving about 300 yards to the stop sign. The noise occurs as I stop accelerating and I am coasting to a stop. I have reached maybe 30 mph top speed before coasting. I also notice it occasionally at various times. Any ideas? I have two other friends that complain about the same thing. One guy actually traded for a Ford F150 because the dealer didn't provide a solution. I like my Chevy but but I don't like the fact that it sounds like there is slack in the rear end and this clunking noise. Thanks for the answers in advance! Brent.

Welcome to the club, Brent. I'm sure someone on this site will have a answer for you.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!! Sorry, I also do not know the answer but am sure someone will be along soon who does or can at least troubleshoot w/you.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

To the Site Brent......Does the Clunking Noise also Appear....when accelerating from a Stop Sign/Light??
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-28-2012 at 01:37 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    To the Site Brent......Does the Clunking Noise also Appear....went accelerating from a Stop Sign/Light??
    Damn, you're always one step ahead asking the right question? Are you reading my mind? lol
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Default Thanks for the welcome! The sound occurs when I decelerating and about the time I

come to a full stop. Thanks..Brent

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

No noise on acceleration..only when I have come to almost a complete stop..The stop sign is on a slight incline but I also notice it sometimes other than on an incline.

The Reason I ask is that there is a......Problem/Concern with the Clunking Noise on the NNBS 2007" and up...Trucks and SUV's......Below is a G.M Bulletin that goes into detail re-guarding this,

G.M. BULLETIN:.....Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Prop-shaft Slip Yoke Splines) - (Aug 11, 2009)

SUBJECT:......Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Prop-shaft Slip Yoke Splines)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SERIES

2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series

EQUIPPED WITH 4WD (RPO CODES NQG, NQH)

ATTENTION:......This bulletin contains a procedure to clean/lubricate the rear prop-shaft slip yoke splines and replace, if necessary. Check the history on this vehicle. If the lubrication procedure has been performed previously, then continue on and replace the transfer case rear output shaft.

CONDITION:
    Some customers may comment on a bump feel or clunk noise at a stop or on launch. Customers may also comment that the bump feel or clunk is noticed after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and that it feels as if the vehicle was bumped from behind.

CAUSE:
    This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the rear prop-shaft slip yoke and the transfer case rear output shaft splines. Braking to a complete stop can force the prop-shaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backward after stopping its momentum.

CORRECTION:
    Note: The clunk noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full. If the condition is eliminated after filling the fuel tank, the noise is isolated to the fuel movement in the tank. Please make no repair attempts, as this noise is considered an operating characteristic.

Verify the customer's concern.

Clean/Lubricate Rear Prop-shaft Slip Yoke Splines
    Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
    Inspect the rear prop-shaft slip yoke splines.
    Note: Protect the transfer case rear seal from Brake Clean.

Clean the rear prop-shaft slip yoke splines with Brake Clean or equivalent and a shop towel.
    Assure that the splines are free of rust or other foreign material.
    Lubricate the spline with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 88861004).
    Reinstall the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
    Road test the vehicle and verify that the noise is gone.
    If the vehicle has a repeat concern after lubricating the slip yoke splines, replace the rear output shaft.
    Replace Transfer Case Rear Output Shaft
    Note: Do Not replace the output shaft unless the cleaning and lubrication procedure is ineffective.

Remove the transfer case assembly. Refer to Transfer Case Assembly Replacement in SI.
    Disassemble the transfer case. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble in SI.
    Replace the transfer case rear output shaft. Refer to the Parts Information below.
    Assemble the transfer case.
    Reinstall the transfer case assembly.

Parts Information:
    Part Number/Description

19133059 SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQH)

19133061 SHAFT, TRFER CASE (RPO NQG)

88861003 (in Canada, 88861004) Automatic Transmission Fluid

This Bulletin....May or May Not help with your clunking Noise, but you never Know.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Thanks '99 Heartbeat!! You have solved my problem! This was easy thanks to you. I just hate to go to the dealer without any info! Printing it out now..thanks again.. Brent Smith.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

How did you find out the info?

Quote Originally Posted by brentsmith36 View Post
    Thanks '99 Heartbeat!! You have solved my problem! This was easy thanks to you. I just hate to go to the dealer without any info! Printing it out now..thanks again.. Brent Smith.
    Your Welcome Brent.....Glad that the Information was able to help with your Concerns.......This Site has a Boat Load of Information......Just ask and more often than not.....one or more of the member's Will have the Answer .....

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brentsmith36 View Post

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

How did you find out the info?
    By Doing a Google Search.....
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 04-13-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE

Default Update

I had the rear end lubed and so far no cluncking..time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast