GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a 2011 Chevy crew cab Z71 and it is making the same noise. They replaced my driveshaft and as soon as I drove off of the lot it was doing it right away. I took it back in and they said they don't know and I will have to live with it. It's a bunch of crap and really making me mad. I told them to check the rear end for excessive pinion lash and they said that is not the problem. I have been a mechanic for 14 years and have checked out this truck myself and know what to much feels like and its feels pretty excessive. If it wasn't under warranty I would fix it myself but I am going to keep taking it in until they finally give in. I have told them this too. They are going to learn to listen. I will let you know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgrimey View Post
    I have a 2011 Chevy crew cab Z71 and it is making the same noise. They replaced my driveshaft and as soon as I drove off of the lot it was doing it right away. I took it back in and they said they don't know and I will have to live with it. It's a bunch of crap and really making me mad. I told them to check the rear end for excessive pinion lash and they said that is not the problem. I have been a mechanic for 14 years and have checked out this truck myself and know what to much feels like and its feels pretty excessive. If it wasn't under warranty I would fix it myself but I am going to keep taking it in until they finally give in. I have told them this too. They are going to learn to listen. I will let you know how it works out.

Getgrimey,

I'm sorry you are having this problem. Please keep me informed on your situation, if the problem isn't fixed after this next visit send me a private message.

Thank you,
    Evan, GM Customer Service

I believe this is an issue that effects most silverados. I also believe the cause is as follows, When you accelerate to 30 or so, stop all acceleration, and allow the trans to drop you from 2 to 1 the driveshaft slaps the rear. I may be horribly wrong though

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123