GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ajarman, the place I've been shooting lately also has a 5 stand set-up, and you're right, it's a whole other ball game. Very humbling too, I might add. I don't know if I am not choking tight enough, or if I should be shooting hotter loads or bigger shot (6-7.5) to carry further, or if I am just at a natural disadvantage with the 20 gauge, but my confidence from the skeet field doesn't carry over to the 5 stand. A lot of the targets thrown seem a little out of range for me. Probably just need a lot more practice. I've only done it a couple of times, but smoking those 'rabbits' sure is a blast. I've shot on a sporting clays course in Missouri years back, and I remember doing a lot better then. It was like you said, a "woods course". 10 shots at each of 10 different stations. She used to change it up every month or so, and it had some pretty crazy scenarios.
    BTW, I shot a Remington 870 for years up until a couple months ago, when I bought a Yildiz O/U from Academy. It's been a great little gun so far, but I've only got about 450 rounds through it. Pretty funny to watch me switch guns in the middle of the day, either forgetting to pump the 870 or trying to pump the O/U! Maybe I'll stick with one gun a day!
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

troutbug, i don't think you are at a disadvantage at all with the 20ga. I would try using a high velocity shell. I've been shooting skeet since i was young and I still pull out the 20ga. now and then just for kicks. I shot a Browning BPS 12ga. for about 4 years until I up graded to a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III 12ga. a few years ago and I love it. But i think I have shot skeet with just about every shotgun we own. everything from 870s, 1100s, Benelli Nova and super black eagles to a Winchester 1300 Turkey Special. No matter what you are shooting, it's always a great time.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Quote Originally Posted by KWG08VMI View Post
    troutbug, i don't think you are at a disadvantage at all with the 20ga. I would try using a high velocity shell. I've been shooting skeet since i was young and I still pull out the 20ga. now and then just for kicks. I shot a Browning BPS 12ga. for about 4 years until I up graded to a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III 12ga. a few years ago and I love it. But i think I have shot skeet with just about every shotgun we own. everything from 870s, 1100s, Benelli Nova and super black eagles to a Winchester 1300 Turkey Special. No matter what you are shooting, it's always a great time.
    I haven't had a problem shooting skeet with the 20 ga., it was really just with this paticular 5-stand set-up. A few of the targets are going away from you (like trap), but at a further starting distance, and the incoming targets are already falling by the time they get close to you. I think I just need to use the O/U with a tight choke for those shots and a more open choke for the closer shots. Last time I shot it, I just didn't feel like walking back to the truck to change chokes once I got up on the stand and realized how far the shots were. I've never patterned the tighter chokes, which I ought to do sometime if I plan on getting better at 5 stand/sporting clays.
    The 20 lends itself nicely to skeet, and all the targets are roughly at the same distances (~25 yds). The reason I said I might be at a disadvantage is because I personally haven't seen many shooters with a 20 on S.C. or 5 stand. Probably more operator error though! And you are probably right about using a faster shell, I've just been reluctant to change my loader settings since I have it just right for my skeet loads.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Blog Entries

I used to be pretty damn good at skeet shooting, I won a small tournament as a junior rockin my old youth model 870 20 gauge (could shoot that thing faster than my next gun, a Remington Model 1100!). I loved trap shooting a lot more though, we had a really nice course we used to shoot around with some great shot variations. I've since stepped up to a number of different guns (over unders, a side by side and a few semi-autos) but my favorite is still the 870-although my new Super Magnum 12 gauge is the preferred gun for me Skeet shooting was always just practice for birds for us though, so we haven't shot in a long time.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

I shoot sometimes...I use a little different technique though...
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

Vincennes' thoughts:: trap gun... headers... trap gun... headers...
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I actually got to shoot some skeet in Hawaii one time! It was pretty cool and they had throwers set up all around the mouth of the volcano! I bet Hawaiikid knows what I'm talking about haha

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Sal, the set up I use for 5 Stand is different from skeet. At the 5 Stand I put in my modified choke and take out my skeet choke. There are some LONG shots that some chokes just cant reach out and get the targets. And with a modified choke you can really smoke those rabbits!!

________2013 4C Rated__________

Sal,
    I agree with you. If you are going to shoot the 5 stand I might keep a Mod. and an IC choke in the O/U. But like you said, you might want to pattern the chokes to see what you are really working with. I'm not familiar with the gun you are using, but my 687 came with a very wide variety of chokes and it took a little while to find what worked best for me.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Awww....don't be worried about reloading. Once you get the hang of it you won't want to stop. I use it for therapy....LOL. I reload around 4000 to 5000 rounds per year with pistol, rifle and shotgun. It is a blast (no pun intended...actually yes I did intend it. If you need any info just ask or use the web. There is some great info floating around out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast