GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default want to put factory nav in my truck

O kso i got a fully loaded 2500hd, has XM and Onstar. i dont ave nav... i dont think they came with nav tho. but iether way if i got a indash factory nav would it hook in and work? is the nav built into the system or does it use the onstar?

I looked into doing this a few years back. It is pretty much plug and play as long as you have the onstar and xm stuff. There is a bunch of info on how to do it on another site. I ended up going with pioneer AVIC D3. In my opinion it has more features and alot of the safty crap can easily be bypassed and it actually cost less than finding a used factory unit would have cost. I think if you do a google search you will find more than enough info to do this upgrade if you want to do it.

yea I would go aftermarket imo ... update able, lot more features .. granted its not a 'factory' look but what ever floats your boat. You can still retain door chimes, onstar and xm radio with an adapter. Thats what I have (minus xm .. don't like it).

Aftermarket (3rd party) GPS head units are certainly going to be a better way to go. Like the previous posters, I've looked into it a couple of times and the features and price differences lend aftermarket the winning hand. I've seen them installed numerous times and a lot of times you can't even tell (at first) that it's not factory. A good installer will do a great job at installing it right so that it sits flush. It's not that hard, really.

If you're wanting to go with the GM factory Navigation, however, that is certainly an option. You can buy them through a number of different outlets (new and used) and my understanding is that they are a plug and play feature. At least on my truck, the actual navigation unit is already connected to my non navigation stereo headunit. I had Onstar navigation for a while and the navigation instructions were spoken and arrows showed up on small display of the stock (non navigation) stereo head unit. My point is, if you plug everything into the new navigation headunit everything should work perfectly fine.

One downside to the aftermarket was that it was a pain to install. It does fit well and looks pretty much factory if you get one of the double din units such as the pioneer. Mine took almost an entire sat. to do right. I gutted my factory XM antenna and mounted the aftermarket xm antenna inside the existing housing. I also by passed a bunch of the saftey stuff so I can use the dvd player and mess with the nav while the vehicle is still in gear.

Ino factory is probably better but my problem is i am horrible at working after market radios. ill end up lookingat it for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to turn it up and ill crash not to mention i have the steering wheel buttons and i bet they wont work with aftermarket. i also like my dash looking factory but nice clean and upgraded. i might "borrow" my fiancees to see if its plug and play. she has an escalade

You can get aftermarket to work with steering wheel controls ... just got to buy the adapter. I can understand the complexity of an aftermarket unit. It is a bit of pain sometimes, but after awhile you should get used to it.

But to see if a factory in-dash will work, if you want to save time time and hassle just go to a Chevrolet dealership. They certainly will know if it will work without additional wiring. I would say it should since you already have satellite connectivity to the truck. However I do not know how gms onstar system works and the navigation unit. All I know is the OnStar main computer controls both onstar functions and xm radio.

I would like to know how this turns out.
    Last edited by randomsandwhich; 11-22-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomsandwhich View Post
    You can get aftermarket to work with steering wheel controls ... just got to buy the adapter. I can understand the complexity of an aftermarket unit. It is a bit of pain sometimes, but after awhile you should get used to it.

But to see if a factory in-dash will work, if you want to save time time and hassle just go to a Chevrolet dealership. They certainly will know if it will work without additional wiring. I would say it should since you already have satellite connectivity to the truck. However I do not know how gms onstar system works and the navigation unit. All I know is the OnStar main computer controls both onstar functions and xm radio.

I would like to know how this turns out.
    the sat radio isn't gonna work for the gps. Although they are similar gps runs on different satelites so you'd have to runs a seperate ant unless its ready for it. I wouldn't ever go stock. Its gonna be more expensive most likely just for the nav and no where near as good. Plus factory stuff is made cheap and wont last long. And if anything goes out which it will evventually its expensive to fix. Don't do it. Like i was sayin its expensive but its not a good value. Its gonna be expensive as far as parts to put in an aftermarket but it will be better in the long runs. Anything stock even bose is really chinsy. Kenwood makes the best nav system out there that i've seen. I've delt with pioneer and its alright but kenwood has garmin software which is better mapping and easier to update. Thats my view on that

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

Also if its the nbs its pretty simple for an aftermarket nav/video. If its the obs its seriously the easiest car you could do. I could put a full nav system in say an 06 silverado in less than an hour. If it is the nbs its still easy but not as easy as the old ones. As long as you have the right parts it shouldn't take you more than a few hours if your familiar at all with this stuff. If this is a brand new pickup under warranty just get a pro to do it so you don't risk voiding the warranty if you don't know what your doin.

well i think i am going to "borrow her nav tomorrow and give it a try i will let you guys know how it turns out

MPC, if you have that option, I would definitely give it a shot. We can tell you that it "should work" all day long but until you really give it a shot yourself it's hard to tell (unless someone can chime in who has actually done this). Anyway, I certainly understand your desire to go factory if you are going to install it yourself. I never planned on installing an aftermarket navigation head unit myself. I had always planned to have it done professionally just to make sure it was done right and I didn't have to deal with the hastle. In my experience, when it comes to technology, something is always going to go wrong. It may be a small thing, it could be a big thing... but it just seems like nothing ever goes right the first time. And this is coming from a guy with years in technical and computer support. Haha.

Anyway, let us know how it goes when you try the swap out. I'm curious about how it will actually play out. Like I said, it should work in theory but let's see.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by