GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default Power Steering Fluid

So yesterday morning it was a lovely -15C out with a windchill of -28C. Don't ask me WHY but something was telling me to check my power steering fluid. So I checked it. Sure enough it was low (just above the "add" line). So I looked in the book and the manual calls for GM Power Steering Fluid part #whatever. So I went to the dealership, asked for power steering fluid and they brought me this ac/delco stuff. Btw is this stuff any good?

Since it was just for topping up at the moment I wasn't too concerned over brand. Anyway, my existing power steering fluid was an amber type colour, and this new stuff is green. So I topped it up, checked again this morning to ensure it was at the proper level and noticed the colour was a brighter amber which I expected since I was mixing the two fluids.

Is amber a good colour or a bad colour? I've read that many vehicles have amber colour and that until it turns a darker brown colour it is good. I was thinking since I bought a full litre of the stuff, perhaps in the near future I should just change the fluid since I haven't yet and don't know if it's ever been done. If I do that, is AC/Delco the way to go or should I get something better?
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would stick to some off the shelf stuff much cheaper and meets the same standards.. AC delco tends to be pretty price... and amber is just fine.. dark like engine oil its time to change.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Jr. Engineer

Man you're fast! Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking, just thought I'd be sure. I only had to pour a small amount in to top it up, so I still have the majority of the AC/Delco stuff left. I'll just use it for topping up in the future, and when it's time to change the fluid I'll be sure to flush it out and fill with some cheaper stuff.