GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default if an rpo code comes back showing that original motor was diesel would...

...an existing tailgate "fuel injection" trim piece be correct on a 1989 suburban?? The original motor is no longer present. It has a 350 in it. Now I will try to discover where the motor came from that is in it now. thanks!

Also,

can anyone direct me to the best website to by body panels for my 89 burb? What I am wanting to put in my "wish basket" is a rocker panel/rear quarters for both sides. Do these come as one unit? or wold I need to buy them seperate? Thanks in advance for your guidance! edit: I found one company called ccg trucks...but if you know of any others...thanks!
    Last edited by 80 grit; 11-29-2010 at 11:03 AM.

I personaly like LMCTruck.com for any parts !!!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

+1 for LMC Trucks. Provided that the tag with the RPO codes is the original tag for the vehicle with its VIN number on it, it should have had a diesel. The fuel injection labeling I think is incorrect, but it might not be. The 6.2L diesel has fuel injectors, but I think it was usually labeled on the tailgate as "6.2L Diesel", or "6.2L fuel injected diesel". My memory's failing on me on the exact terminology, but I'm pretty sure just "fuel injection" referred to the TBI 350s and 454s.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

x3 on lmc truck! Quality parts and good shipping times.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Wow, it is a lot of work to switch from a diesel to a spark motor- or the other way around. Probably with GMs of that vintage going to the spark motor was easier.

The really early Suburban diesels-350's- in the early 80's had plenty of problems, so no surprise that one of them would have been switched out.
    By the late 80's the diesel motor was much more reliable, so I'm surprised they changed it.
    Unless they just wore it out in which case it would be cheaper to replace it with a 350 spark motor with wiring harness ECU from a junk yard.
    Did you actually check the glove box code and it indicates the diesel?
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Thanks for the LMC tip guys. I did use them for stuff on my 86 pickup.

Charlie,

The vin # matches the glove box rpo sticker vin #. It reads as either Lc5 or Lg5 (it is slightly faded). One is a four banger, the other is a six cylinder diesel 7.2. Also, my truck is a 1500. Did the 1500 come with the diesel option? I suppose I will discover more after I take possession of it. If anyone knows of any "clues" that might help figure out what motor it originally had (perhaps there is another rpo code that should coincide with the diesel motor code, etc.)???? Thanks.

Joe