GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default leveling kit and tire size

i have a 2002 silveraldo ext. cab. everything is stock on it right now and the front end is starting to sag some. i was thinking about getting the trosion keys and raising it 2 inches in the front and wondering what size tires i could run on it. also would i have to get blocks for the back to compensate so that the truck sat level. any advice would help.

thanks

well if you just want to correct sag, or fatigue I would say just get new front shocks and then tighten up your stock keys a little bit. Not going to get you much height just going to fix your problem at hand.

If you want to lift it up a little bit i would say to get a leveling kit and assuming you have a 1500 i would get 3" rear blocks. you should fit 33s on the stock offset with out any trimming. if you go with a wider offset rim you might have to trim a little plastic off under the bumper.

If you want it to sit level I'm not sure I would put a 3" block in the back with only a leveling kit up front. I would get the torsion keys and raise the front a little at a time to until it sits like you want it to. If that doesn't satisfy what you want, then I would look into a full lift.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!! I agree with KWG regarding the blocks and that you may want put on leveling kit or adjust the torsion first and see what you truck looks like afterward. Without pictures, it's hard to tell how much rake you have (rear sitting higher than the front), but if you prefer the "leveled" look, you may not need blocks at all.

Regarding tire size, since you say your vehicle is sagging in the front, it's hard to tell how much 2" higher is. I would say you would be fine with 33s as well but it's really tough to be sure.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

So I have the same truck. What are the biggest tires that will fit on the stock alloy 16" rims?

1989 Chevy V1500 Suburban 4X4, long tube headers & xover pipe. w/1985 350 4bbl.
    2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L Ext. Cab
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L
    1990 Miata