GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Blog Entries

Ahhh...makes sense. So if it is a simple matter of programming, the dealer will probably do for free if you order the FOBs through them, so we could get away with it being just over $200 w/tax...not bad.

As always, thnx Mike!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Ahhh...makes sense. So if it is a simple matter of programming, the dealer will probably do for free if you order the FOBs through them, so we could get away with it being just over $200 w/tax...not bad.

As always, thnx Mike!

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    For sure Mike.....Check with your Local Dealer....for pricing.....

If I could get the.....Factory R.S. for my Truck I would.....but G.M. does not have a Factory R.S. for the GMT-800 Series Trucks............just for the GMT-900 Trucks.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Blog Entries

Will do and I'll let all know what I come up with.

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Will do and I'll let all know what I come up with.
    Mike that would be Great.....that would answer some questions and gives everyone some insight as to final cost on the Factory R.S......

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Mike that would be Great.....that would answer some questions and gives everyone some insight as to final cost on the Factory R.S......
    Ok...so here is the scoop:
    *$195 for new remotes (buttons only, not the ones with the digital display)
    *$115 to have the dealer program
    *It can control temp if you have automatic climate control
    *If you have dial temperture control, you need to leave heater or A/C in position you want for the next time you remote start.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 12-02-2010 at 07:50 PM.

TIRES:

Ok, cool. Good work, fleetwood. I was thinking that would be the case. I don't have the digital climate control either so I'm in your boat.

I've seen the remotes (with necessary codes for dealer) online at various genuine GM parts stores for as low as $150. As for the dealer programing, $115 seems like a lot for what appears to be a pretty easy process. I saw someone mention in another thread that you may be able to get the dealer to do it for free (especially if its a smaller dealership and you know someone who works there). If that was the case, I could justify the price of the remotes. Like you, fleetwood, I feel like it would be a cool upgrade but it's lower down on my list of upgrades given the cost/benefit analysis of the upgrade. I just wish it was easier to program them.

This whole thing kind of reminds me of the frustration that the DIC upgrade caused me. You've got all the wiring (and other capabilities) there, but Chevrolet can't just go ahead and throw in the $75 Driver Information Center!? What's it to them? Likewise, if they've already built in the capability for remote start, why did they spend money on providing me a non-remote start key fob when they could have just tacked on the difference in price of the regular fob versus the remote start fob on the sticker??? My point is this, Chevy: sell me my truck with the DIC and the remote start fob and add $70 (DIC) + $100 (difference in regular keyless entry fob and remote start fob)=$170 to the sticker. How hard is that?
    Last edited by Vincennes02261897; 12-02-2010 at 07:47 PM.

I agree 100%. The little things like that make a big difference. I love my remote start, especially as the weather gets cold.

Legend

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone at a dealership personally, but I did try and work through the dealership that I have business relationship with and they did not seem to cut me any slack at all. The cost to program was definitely shocking. Who knows, maybe with a little research, we can figure out how to program on our own, as long as it doesn't require any special tools.

I hear you about the DIC...same thing with the mirror features too. Why do some have turn-signals and some don't but yet they come pre-wired to add easily?? I have given that some thought and the most logical explanation I can come up with is that they leverage those "upgraded" features to get someone to purchase the more expensive class of vehicle and/or pay a premium price for the factory option(s). In this manner, they can increase their revenue and margin with that single purchase. And then on the flip side, they can sell those items and make even money on the back end since we (or the original owner) did not splurge to begin with on the front end. I kind of started looking at it in the same way as when you buy a new house. You get the base model and pay the cheapest price, and if you want to add options you have two choices:
    1) Go through the builder and pay an arm and a leg, but then you don't have to spend time adding it in later plus it is easy to pay for by adding into your financing, so you really don't "feel" the extra thousand bucks here and extra $500 there.
    2) Wait until your house is built and then add at later date. This is usually much cheaper but it could be a time consuming project and you immediately feel the cash leaving your pocket.

I'm sure it is much more complicated than that, but in my simple mind, that is how I try and rationalize why they would have this approach.

TIRES:

I think you hit it on the head Mike. Not to mention that to get the heated mirrors or the remote start, for example, that you have to buy the package. A lot of times you can't even get something like that without upgrading something else. As my friend says TBAG (That'll be a grand). That's one of the reasons why people who want luxuries go foreign. It's a misconception that the American brands are not as luxurious.

Legend

Blog Entries

I like that phrase "TBAG"......that about sums it all up pefectly in soooo many ways.

TIRES:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12