GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: blower motor

Default blower motor

i am not sure if my blower motor is dead, or if it might be the control module, or the resistor. either way it does not work. i have 14 volts going to it. also how much free play should be going to it? any info would be great.

On my 2000 I had speeds 1-3 quit working, it was the resistor. $50 later and about 10 min labor it was back working again.

Get out your multimeter. Youll be able to find which wires go from the switch to the controller. Then check the other wires that are obviously to send power (and not to send power) to the fan. Turn the switch off an on. If you see the voltage going up and down then the problem is with the fan motor and not the controller. If you see the voltage is constant at 0 coming out of the controller than obviously its the controller. Had this happen to me and it cost me about $35 for a new controller off ebay.

well the blower motor works just fine. it was slaved into another truck and worked like a champ. the controller woks as well. it is narrowed down to the blower motor module. this item is usually known as blower motor resistor. stupid gm changing crap. also to let everyone know that gm has also changed the part number. had to call GM in detroit to get the new one. the dealer didnt even know. the new part number is 89018778.

I had a problem where the blower motor stopped working with 3 settings on my climate control switch. I thought it had something to do with the climate control switch itself and when I took it to the dealership I found out it was a melted blower motor resistor harness. They told me it was going to cost close to $100 for the part, so I went shopping on my own and found a harness that was $33. It was way better than the one the dealership mechanic showed me, which only had black and white wires and seemingly one gauge size. The harness I found matched the one in my 02 Silverado, both wire color and gauge size and now my heat and a/c work perfect. I found the harness at http://www.buywiring.com/7-wire_blow...co_pt2195.html

If the resistor is bad, I was told by the dealership that it is likely the connector on the blower motor resistor harness will be damaged as well. Hope this is helpful!