GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Fuel pump issues ? maybe?

SORRY. Just fed up with it and forgot to say its an 87 Chev Suburban 350 auto 4x4 550K on truck and about 335K on engine

Ok. Fuel pump died about 6 months ago. Replaced it. Now it has started actin funny. When the key is turned on, the fuel pump will not cycle on. Even took the cap off and stuck my ear in it....nothin. Try to start the truck and you will have to crank it for about 30 seconds and it will sputter and start and run smooth. After hard acceleration (like uphill) the truck will sputter then smooth out like it was starving of fuel. Service engine light comes on but by jumping the connector I cannot get codes out. It worked fine a few weeks ago but not now. When truck is shut off, you can hear the pump run for a second or three.

I think the fuel pump is faulty but need some other opinions BEFORE i pull all that crap apart again. I knew I should have made an access pannel in the floor when I had it out the first time.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by slimyguts; 11-19-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

We need year make and model engine size etc before we can really help since there is differences with all of the trucks thru the years...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    We need year make and model engine size etc before we can really help since there is differences with all of the trucks thru the years...
    Sorry. It has been corrected.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Slimey, I don't remember what year/modle you have, but did you also replace the pump harness/connectors when you replaced the pump? Many on here have mentioned this is important on some modles/years because they are trash. From your explanation it sounds like relay is ok, & this is either a pump connector/wireing prob. or just a bad new pump that didn't last very long. You did repl. the filter when you did the pump, yes? It's probably best to check the fuel pressure first so you don't have to drop the tank unnecessarily. This might tell you something, but if you didn't repl. the filter, do it first.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend
    Blog Entries

You will want to check the fuel pressure. They make an adapter to go infront of the Fuel Filter, you should have AT LEAST 12PSI. If not you have a bad pump.. Also when was the last time the motor had a tune up etc???

Jr. Apprentice

about two months ago I did the tune when replacing the head gaskets. Worked great after work was done. Just recently started acting up.

Fuel filter replaced when pump was replaced.

12 psi is all? Will look for that adapter.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Slimey, there's instructions in the "how to" section for measuring from the top, for cutting the hole in your floor, so you don't have to pull the tank again to cut the hole in the proper place. SWEEEEET!

I will look for it, but don't count on me to find it, ha ha ha, I do not navigate p.c.s very well
    Last edited by stephan; 11-19-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Jr. Apprentice

HELL YEA! you da man!! I will look till it snows.....well.....maybe longer cause its mid 30's right now

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Hey Slimey, there's instructions in the "how to" section for measuring from the top, for cutting the hole in your floor, so you don't have to pull the tank again to cut the hole in the proper place. SWEEEEET!

I will look for it, but don't count on me to find it, ha ha ha, I do not navigate p.c.s very well
    FOUND IT! Thanks so much for the tip.

Legend
    Blog Entries

You're welcome. I also remember someone saying that when they pulled the carpet up it was actually apparent as to "approximately where the hole should be cut", like there was some sort of recess, or outline or something so this may be pretty easy. They also recommended only cutting it on 3 sides & bending it up so it could be bent back down when done, as opposed to having to make a patch plate for it.

Jr. Apprentice

If you seen how badly I have "used" this truck, noone will ever question whats going on under there.

In fact, from the back of the front seats to the rear of the truck has those long heavy duty black matts you see in auto shops or quick lube shops (will not say were / what shop they came from.....call it severence pay) but they make sweet do it yourself carpet kits. cut to fit and use a ton of 3M fabric adhesive and you got some sweet carpet that is easy to clean

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by