GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Front Suspension Parts Diagram?

I have a part missing from my driver side front suspension, and for the life of me I can't think of the name of the part. I've found parts diagrams online however they are too small to pick out the correct part. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of an exploded view of the front suspension on a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500, or any vehicle with an identical front suspension.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Oh and I believe it to be the stabilizer link, but I'm not 100% sure.

Legend
    Blog Entries

www.compnine has pretty good exploded views. Try them.
    A stableizer link? Can you take a picture of the one on the other side so we can see what this part looks like that is missing? There should be a carbon copy of it on the passenger side
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

According to that site it is a front stabilizer link. I noticed it this afternoon when I climbed under the truck and I instantly knew something was missing. I'll get a picture of both sides tomorrow morning. Looking at that diagram though it shows pretty well exactly what I'm looking at under the truck, the little shaft that goes from the front stabilizer shaft to the lower control arm. Better question is how common is it for that to fall off? Obviously the bolts loosened up or broke for it to fall off, would have figured with the rust from over the last 5 years it would have grown on by now haha.

You can buy a link kit at most parts houses and install it easily yourself. They do corrode and break occasionally. Is the whole piece gone? Or is part of the bolt and spacer still there? If it is all gone, just install the new link kit via the instuctions that come with it. If part of it is still there and rusted together, use a hammer and punch, vise grips, a wrench, and penetrating fluid to get it loose. You will have to jack the truck up to get the proper clerance to install the new one.

Legend
    Blog Entries

LOL.. yeah wouldn't it be nice if rust worked that way. Has your truck been lifted? If it has, you may need to make your own longer links & use longer bolts. With a 3" or 4" inch lift or higher, it can put pressure on the bolts due to the angle of the anti-sway bar. High enough that the hole in the bar can pinch the bolt, (bend it, wear it, or break it,) & the bushings can't stop it.

Truck has a leveling kit is all. I just found it odd when I looked under the truck today and noticed that the stabilizer shaft wasn't attached to anything. Rust only holds things together when you don't want it to I guess. Going to have to find a spot to order the links online, parts stores around here charge 3x more then what I can find it for online.

---------- Post added 12-04-2010 at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-03-2010 at 11:57 PM ----------

Also, does anyone know where the best spot to run a wire through the fire wall into the cab is? I spent a little while looking today as the end of the wire has a fitting on it. (The wire is for a remote for a snow plow).

Pictures are crappy but you can easily see whats missing on the drivers side.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h342/Zmabik/

I had to link it as an album cause I'm unable to place the photos here, even at 360x240 I get photo too large error.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think your pictures were fine. No problem seeing what's going on there. That's definitely a s.b. link you're missing. Glad you're replacing both of them as I don't think the drivers side came unbolted. Rust works like locktight, & I can't imagine the nut unscrewing itself & the bolt & link falling out. I think it rusted off & the passenger side is probably not far behind.
    As far as running a wire through the firewall, there are many places around the steering column. If you are limited by the size of the electrical connector on the wire, as far as feeding it through one of the holes, just cut the connector off & solder it back on after you have fed it through.