GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default need help buying m/ts

I drive an '06 chevy silverado and I have been running cooper a/ts but I want to buy some m/ts. Next year I will probably be doing a lot of driving back and forth from college, so I need a mud tire that will last. At the same time, I want a tire that will pull well in the mud. My a/ts are crap in most mud. I need to be able to pull people out and get where I need to go when I'm hunting. I live in south carolina so mud and trails are about the only extreme terrain that I deal with. Also I can deal with some noise, but I don't want an obnoxious whine like mud grapplers.

I have been looking at forums and asking around, trying to figure out what tire would best suit my needs and I have heard and read different things from everywhere. I especially couldn't find that much information about tread life on the fierces because they're a newer tire, so if anyone has experience with them, that would be appreciated.

The tires that I have looked at are:
    Toyo Open Country M/T
    Fierce Attitude M/T
    Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
    BFG KM2
    Cooper STT

I'll be getting 35s on a 17 inch rim

What suggestions would yall make? Any response is appreciated.
    Last edited by austinmogy; 12-03-2010 at 09:08 PM.

I would go w/ the BFG KM2's. I have them on my XJ and they're great. Not too loud on the highway, great traction, and they have excellent tread life.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

ive rant he toyo mt i love the tire it was a bit pricey but they were quiet on the highway and good traction offroad and the life was around 40K. I also ran the dick cepek mud country which is almost 200 dollars cheaper per tire then toyo but everything else was the almost the same as the toyo

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I do some off roading in Fort Mill, SC and the Clay can get a bit slick. I have the Goodyear DuraTrac's and they do good until it is time to put the truck in reverse and they just dont clean out. I will be ordering the Nitto Trail Grapps tomorrow and I think they will clean out much better than the GY's. A buddy of mine has the KM2's on his Z-71 and they are freaking awesome in the clay!

________2013 4C Rated__________

Master Mechanic

i went with some kelly safari tsr's and they work awesome. they weren't really high priced and ride great. i also like the fierce altitudes but they didn't have them in the size i was looking for. good luck with your search you'll get alotta responses from everyone!!!

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

Blog Entries

as with a few replies above, I personally have had excellent luck with BFG's on 2 different vehicles. Never had a blow out, always good tread pattern, and overall ride even with deep treads was pretty good on the highway. Your personal preference will probably make up your mind for you, but at least on this forum / web site, you can get some different points of view --------good luck from Canada