GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Batteru or Alternator

I have a 2003 4.8L 8 Cyliner Chev Silverado. I never used it for nearly two months when I was away and when I went to start it the battery was dead. I boost the truck and for several days work Ok. Then today the battery was dead again, how do I tell if it's the battery or the alternator.

Thanks

If you've got a local auto parts store that does complimentary battery checks let them test if for you, they can usually test alternators too, but it has to be out of the truck.
    I'm betting on the battery since you only jumped it and it worked for a couple days.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

How old is the Battery in the truck now?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

X2 on it being the battery,but as Tim said take it in and get it checked to make sure it's holding a charge
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    If you've got a local auto parts store that does complimentary battery checks let them test if for you, they can usually test alternators too, but it has to be out of the truck.
    I'm betting on the battery since you only jumped it and it worked for a couple days.
    X3! most auto parts stores can perform a load test which will point to dead cells in the battery.. I have to get a new one today and it is doing the same thing.. also if you are charging when it is running then i would lean even heavier twards it being the battery.. And just be sure that you get one with enough CCA (cold crank amps) for your truck.. Here in MN we tend to get even more since -30degrees F can be hell on a battery and i want it to start when i go to work soo..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"